This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Tripod form check and tips please

Started by Lori Edmondson, October 15, 2017 · 2 Replies · 51 Views

Lori Edmondson

I have just added the handstand one to my foundation and stretch series courses, and thought it would be wise to get help on the tripod from the beginning. I did the handstand workout for the first time yesterday. I don't have the strength to lift myself up, so I read all the posts I could find on the forum to see if there was some way I could manage it safely. I tried again today and took this video, not very graceful just yet lol. I can lift myself up using the wall - I found I put a lot of my weight on my head to begin with, but once in position I could push up with my hands and distribute my weight around better. I couldn't quite get my forehead on the ground, but I am not completely resting on my crown.

Can I carry on doing the tripod this way, or do you think I should leave it alone and come back to it when I am stronger? What can I do to improve, and what other exercises can I focus on to help with strength so I don't need the wall. Thanks guys :)

https://youtu.be/fXikex9UTqo

Leo Trinidad

Hi @Lori Edmondson,

Your form looks okay to begin with and you can build strength slowly this way. Just make sure that you distribute the weight from your head and your arms. (equally) If you feel it too much in your head and neck then you are not distributing your head enough. Make sure not to hold your breath and engage your core at all times.

Lori Edmondson

Ok great, thanks Leo :)