This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

sPL/PE3 Question

Started by Miguel Perez, October 13, 2017 · 1 Replies · 38 Views

Miguel Perez

Hello,

I had a general question concerning this particular exercise, which may then affect how I tackle others. If I emphasize pulling my traps and shoulders down (towards my feet), the position feels tighter but the ROM of protraction in the upper back is not nearly as far upwards (towards the ceiling). If I do not think about my traps and allow them to shrug up as I do the exercise, my protraction ROM is far greater. 

So, my question is, is there a benefit to focusing on the cue for the shoulders and traps to pull downwards for stability, or allow them to drift up towards my neck for additional ROM? I have noticed myself considering this on other exercises and was wondering if there may be a general rule to keep in mind. 

Thanks in advance, 

Miguel

Alessandro Mainente

it is completely normal Miguel, the more you depress the less possibility you have to perform a lateral movement of the scapulae. not a case a good depression can be judged from the amount of protraction. the correct depression plus protraction creates only 6-8° of spine flexion.