How to punch

Started by dlsso, March 22, 2010 · 4 Replies · 1,871 Views

dlsso

This seems like something that should be very simple, and I've analyzed several videos frame by frame so I think I know what the body position is supposed to be coming in and such, but I still suck at it.

I'm trying to correct my takeoff for front tucks. First here is the only vid I have at the moment:

YGwrWkrhULY

I'm sorry it's not from the side so you can't see the punch angle or anything, but notice that I'm trying to punch and still get no height.

I would like to know both how to improve the punch and how to adapt it to grass or hard surfaces. I can make another video if needed.

dlsso

Help?

Neal Winkler

How to punch?

Clench fist, swing arm.

dlsso

Hah, I'm actually a martial artist and there's a little more to it than that, at least if you want to hit hard.

Punch, pounce, just takeoff? What do you guys call it?

Blairbob

Punching off harder surfaces generally involves more flexion at the joints and then extending. Basically you have to make up for the fact that the surface isn't sprung. So it's more "jumpy".