I have noticed that while I am really enjoying the light training during my deload week (I could get easily get used to these "lazy times" ;-) ) my first few days (F6 on Monday and Legs+H1+H2 on Tuesday) are really tough… I struggle and suffer and it feels like I am all rusty. Then the training from now and on is just normal. Curious to hear if you feel refreshed and strong after your deload, or if you have similarly tough times? I have noticed in the past (even before GST) that I didn't like to take days off training, because it was much harder to train again. It seems easier just to keep going. But I understand the value of lighter days/periods. What are your thoughts?
This forum is archived information and is no longer active.
Tough training the week after deload...
Started by Suzanna McGee, October 11, 2017 · 7 Replies · 256 Views
I do sometimes feel the same; body feels lazy and heavy in the first sessions after a rest period. Specially if i do really nothing for a few days....
On the occasions when i do other sports, like climbing holidays or different activities for a period, mountain hiking or maybe just some easy swimming on family holidays, my body feels refreshed and my mind is highly motivated and craving for the GST-training!
Sounds mental to me. Just tough it out! LOL!
Ok more seriously. Although a deload week makes the body refreshed & ready, the mental resistance is real. I feel the same way. I like to keep my training fun, since I feel much less mental resistance that way in general. Just like Petra mentioned, if I had done something other than GST (not intense, as recovery is the main purpose of the deload week), I'd go back to GST with eager. If you feel hard just the first couple days, maybe switch some lighter workout days to the beginning of the week, and hit the full load once you are both refreshed and motivated
9 hours ago, Suzanna McGee said:I have noticed that while I am really enjoying the light training during my deload week (I could get easily get used to these "lazy times" ;-) ) my first few days (F6 on Monday and Legs+H1+H2 on Tuesday) are really tough… I struggle and suffer and it feels like I am all rusty. Then the training from now and on is just normal. Curious to hear if you feel refreshed and strong after your deload, or if you have similarly tough times? I have noticed in the past (even before GST) that I didn't like to take days off training, because it was much harder to train again. It seems easier just to keep going. But I understand the value of lighter days/periods. What are your thoughts?
It depends on how much advanced you are on a type of training, the more experience you have, the less you can deload and usually it is a full deload.
11 hours ago, Petra Dvorak said:body feels lazy and heavy in the first sessions after a rest period. Specially if i do really nothing for a few days....
Petra, I generally NEVER do nothing :-) If I don't do foundation, I do the GST stretch and some bike ride, or pole… and walk 15,000 steps every day. My mind feels fine after the deload, it's just the muscles that burn out much faster.
4 hours ago, Jin Liu said:Sounds mental to me. Just tough it out! LOL!
Ha ha, Jin, you know I always tough it out. It's actually more physical than mental. Mentally, I am always (almost always) ready to train, but the first training after the deload week is really physical, my triceps is burning already half way through the set in the push-ups for example. It's weird. I've been paying attention to this for a while, and it seems to be each time after the deload.
3 hours ago, Alessandro Mainente said:It depends on how much advanced you are on a type of training, the more experience you have, the less you can deload and usually it is a full deload.
There were some deload weeks in the past that I added more pole to my less GST, so the intensity was kind of similar like a regular week, and I did feel better the week after. Maybe I just need to do more instead of less :-) I will experiment with this in 3 weeks on my next deload.
I've just restarted SPL/SE3 and RC/PE11 after a deload and now (the day after) I feel like a gutted rabbit. Watching @Jin Liu's RC/PE11 video (specifically, shoulders above elbows at the top of the movement) made me realise I don't perform the full range, so I tried some isometric holds at the top of of the movement. Paying for it today!
1 hour ago, Nick Murray said:I've just restarted SPL/SE3 and RC/PE11 after a deload and now (the day after) I feel like a gutted rabbit. Watching @Jin Liu's RC/PE11 video (specifically, shoulders above elbows at the top of the movement) made me realise I don't perform the full range, so I tried some isometric holds at the top of of the movement. Paying for it today!
Aww, thank you, I’m very flattered.
While following a typical "Periodization" workout routine and after a "Deload week." Most, like normal, will find their workout routine more difficult than previously perceived.
"Hyperlinks" to additional supporting information on the subject.
Wikipedia: Sports Periodization
University of New Mexico: Periodization
EXRX.net "Periodization for Weight Training"
EXRX.net "Periodization"