This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Vertical Frog, how to proceed

Started by Johan Tideland, October 9, 2017 · 4 Replies · 170 Views

Johan Tideland

Hi

I am feeling pretty comfortable with this position but I it seems like my bent leg does not move backwards and in line with my straight leg as its should be according to the videos. 

Nether does its seem like I am getting closer to being able to sit my buttocks on the floor. Don't get me wrong, I have made huge improvements in this but I just seem to have hit a standstill with this exercise for the last couple of months.

How should I proceed with this?

thanks

Johan

Mikey Cunanan

Hey @Johan Tideland

Excellent progress with your vertical frog. From here your goal is to create a vertical line with the shin of your bent leg. This will greatly increase the stretch on the adductors of your bent leg. 

To do this, simply keep your bent knee directly over your heel as you slide your straightened leg out to the side. 

 

Jin Liu

What would it look like if you just simply sit on the floor with one straight leg and one bent leg? I feel you’ll have a much better chance to have your shin vertical if you just sit on the floor. The next challenge is to align the bent leg with the straight leg. I’d actively push the hips forward (can probably anchor the vertical shin with something, and not let the knee drop), and you’ll really feel it in the adductors. This part will get better as your other frog variations (diamond frog, frog hold, & frog rock) get better.

Alessandro Mainente

HI JOhan, the ability to reach backward with the bent leg, in order to have a vertical shin form, depends on the hip mobility. the piriformis variation should help you a lot.

Johan Tideland

Thank you for the feedback guys,!

@Mikey Cunanan I will make sure to focus keeping my knee over my heel on my bent leg.

@Jin Liu that is an interesting suggestion about doing it from the floor, I will make sure to try it:)

@Alessandro Mainente I will add a daily set of the piriformis stretch to help speed up the improvement.