This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

How much should I train?

Started by Joakim Wikman, October 9, 2017 · 11 Replies · 377 Views

Joakim Wikman

Hey!

I have some thoughts, but first a shorter description of me might be in place :)

I am 36 years old and have been training in most of my life. In recent years, running and heavy weight training have taken great place but also a little triathlon. I have had a problem with my back for a long time (10 years), ache in the lumbar leg and upper back. But now I have started focusing more on mobility and good posture and quickly reduced pain in neck in back mm.

Via a mate I got up the eyes of Gymnastic bodies. After training through Fundamentals, I have now taken the foundation.

Now to my questions; How often do I work out a week? And I would really like to buy all the things that GB suggests as "add on" this week but it's so expensive! Can I get well on Foundation only?

Finally, I apologize for my bad English.

Sincerely/
J from Sweden

Alessandro Mainente

Hi Joakim, begin with foundations it is the first step. Then as you progress you can find that the schedule once a week it is too easy, then you can switch to the 3 days a week and so on. the most important thing it is to understand where is your biggest limitation in the range of motion so that I can tell you what it the best stretch course to address for now your deficits.

Janno Rillo
6 hours ago, Joakim Wikman said:

 And I would really like to buy all the things that GB suggests as "add on" this week but it's so expensive! Can I get well on Foundation only?

I thought in the beginning as well that Foundation 1 is expensive, but if you put the whole thing into a perspective that this one purchase gives you at least couple of years worth of detailed training programs with so many progression levels, then it doesn't look that expensive anymore. I'm 38 and have somewhat similar sports background as you. I've been into GB for more than a year and except squats, I'm nowhere near completing the F1 soon. For me it will be most likely at least 3 year investment.

Joakim Wikman
On 2017-10-09 at 11:56 AM, Alessandro Mainente said:

Hi Joakim, begin with foundations it is the first step. Then as you progress you can find that the schedule once a week it is too easy, then you can switch to the 3 days a week and so on. the most important thing it is to understand where is your biggest limitation in the range of motion so that I can tell you what it the best stretch course to address for now your deficits.

Hey! thanks for your reply! I tried once a week per body part (upper, lower and core) but it became too little so I do now 2-3 times a week/bodypart. I quickly realized that the back / inside thighs and my hips are my biggest problems in rom. The exercise swirel sweep is next to impossible since I do not get more than a few decimals with the leg falling inward. so which stretch suited me best?

Joakim Wikman
On 2017-10-09 at 2:47 PM, Janno Rillo said:

I thought in the beginning as well that Foundation 1 is expensive, but if you put the whole thing into a perspective that this one purchase gives you at least couple of years worth of detailed training programs with so many progression levels, then it doesn't look that expensive anymore. I'm 38 and have somewhat similar sports background as you. I've been into GB for more than a year and except squats, I'm nowhere near completing the F1 soon. For me it will be most likely at least 3 year investment.

Tanx for your answer! 

Everett Carroll
1 hour ago, Joakim Wikman said:

so which stretch suited me best?

For that deficit, the Middle Split Series would be most effective for you. That said, begin training all three as soon as you can. They are all very important for your longterm progress. 

Thomas Nordman

Good to see you here @Joakim Wikman :)

And as mentioned Foundation 1 will likely keep you busy for the next couple of years. I recommend to add the stretch series. These will make a big difference for your progress in F1.

/your mate ;)

Joakim Wikman
On 2017-10-14 at 12:07 PM, Thomas Nordman said:

Good to see you here @Joakim Wikman :)

And as mentioned Foundation 1 will likely keep you busy for the next couple of years. I recommend to add the stretch series. These will make a big difference for your progress in F1.

/your mate ;)

Tanx Mr.T! ;)

Joakim Wikman

I just read somewhere in the forum about Swivel Hips and how difficult that exercise is. I do not get to it, for a while it hurts my knee and then I'm just a stiff lite a log. How should I do. I understand that my mobility in the hips is, at least, super stiff. Sometimes when I'm sitting down and relaxed, I feel how it pulls / bucks down at the ankle on the right side. It's also the side I'm stiff in when it's moving in both back and hip. The second exercise I do not really get is Scapular Shrugs. I fully understand it, but I do not get into the pinching shoulder blades, is this because I have poor mobility in the upper back? And how do I fix this?

I hope you understand my problems!

Grateful for answers!

Yours in immobility ;)

Luke Searra

Joakim, please post videos of all of the above movements. At a guess, I would say the reason swivel hips irritates your knee is that your glute leaves the floor during your swivel hips, as well as you possibly having some kind of pre-existing knee irritation. Yes, most likely you have shoulder immobility which will lead to difficulty pinching the shoulder blades together.

Suzanna McGee
On 10/18/2017 at 10:02 AM, Joakim Wikman said:

Yours in immobility ;)

Buahaha, love this!!!!

Greg White

It's not perscribed swivel hips form but if you dorsiflex your ankles, bring your toes towards your shins, throughout the movement it helps stabilise the knee joint and may help alleviate the knee irritation. I think the a sticky post too on swivel hips so read that if not already.