This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

one month food challenge in my future

Started by Margaret Graham, October 8, 2017 · 3 Replies · 67 Views

Margaret Graham

I was quite recently diagnosed with an autoimmune disease, MCTD. I have started on prednisone - short term, and plaquenil - long-term. 

I'm starting to work with a functional medicine nutritional counselor to address the dietary aspect of autoimmune disease. I am not looking for medical advice, I have all I need.

I have been very happy the last several months eating eggs and whole fat greek yogurt or smoked salmon and WF greek yogurt for break, super satisfying, easy to make. Well you guessed it both eggs and the dairy are on the suspect list! 

So I'm looking for thrive compliant breakfast options, that will avoid the dairy and the eggs, any ideas? I'm very tolerant of eating the same one or two things for weeks indeed months on end if I like them. At least one day a week I need to be at a clinical at 5:20 and so need something portable I can eat during morning discussion.

I know I can still have the salmon, I just need a sauce or something to go with it. Dry mouth is a symptom and can make swallowing dry foods harder.

Oscar Riaño

I'm a big fan of cured meats... Personally, as a proud Spanish, I'd recommend you Iberian Hams and Salamis :D Not only are they rich in protein, but also in fats. Nuts perhaps... I also read in another topic, that meat with nuts is an optimal breakfast... But others will tell you better. It sounds weird to eat meat in the morning haha. 

Note: Are you lactose-intolerant? Or why can't you eat dairy? Just so you know that old cured cheeses don't have lactose (most of them). 

Salmon is good with lemon, oil and capers :P

 

Margaret Graham

I was thinking that the meats and nuts were going to be my option. I looked through the "What do you eat for breakfast thread and that seemed to be the alternative mentioned.

I don't actually know that I have either of these as intolerances, gluten or dairy including eggs, but will do a one month time without and then add them back in. Or I can remove each singly for a month, thus extending the whole thing for three months, which sounds kind of worse but might be easier for me. I've found Thrives' method of making one small step at a time easier to comply  with that making all the changes at once.

Lucy Criddle
On 09/10/2017 at 3:29 PM, Margaret Graham said:

I don't actually know that I have either of these as intolerances, gluten or dairy including eggs, but will do a one month time without and then add them back in. 

Hi @Margaret Graham - are you doing AIP? I also have an autoimmune condition (hashimotos) and so far am finding Thrive to be very compatible. 

I typically have any of the following for breakfast:

* avocado and tinned or smoked fish

* various vegetables (I have a weird obsession with raw zucchini) & fish

* leftovers from dinner - I actually really like reheated greens & chicken hearts, although maybe not to everyone's taste!

* veggie & fruit smoothie with collagen & coconut milk - although I feel like the above might be better now that the emphasis is on fats & proteins vs. carbs. However, I have this as backup and partly to ease up from so much fish (mercury content concerns)