alright... so at Coach Sommers request i stopped my Iron X training and stopped my floor planche training and focused mainly on doing my planche training on the rings. Since i do this at home and not at the gym the rings i have set up hang about 7-8 feet. I have the book and have been training the planche and have progressed to advanced tuck. Now in the book it speaks of steady state training. Now if i am using that system should i only wait until i can hold the position for 15 seconds before moving on to the Straddle planche?... or should i wait until i can hold it for 6o seconds. A minute of advanced tuck planche on the rings seems like an eternity. In the essay that touched on static training it recommended a minute but the book says 15.... which is right? :?:
Planche progression and limits
Started by Ryan Hutchins, March 20, 2010 · 6 Replies · 8,839 Views
I beleive a hold of 15-20 seconds max is correct. Then to consolidate your gains keep with that hold time divided by 2 so 7ish to 10 second sets for a total of 60 seconds for 3 or so weeks. Then give the straddle planche a shot! Keep up the good work! ![]()
Could you provide the link to where he provided this advice (unless it was private correspondence)?
It was a personal email. But knowledge is knowledge. Here is his advice
Re: Note from Coach Sommer
For maximum benefits and to ensure the stability of the elbow joints, in my opinion it is important that you go through the series that I listed on the rings. Â Time spent handstands and planches on the floor and parallets are helpful for laying a foundation, but are NOT a substitute for building up to performing the elements on the rings.
A five second ring handstand is a nice start, but nowhere near a stable skill. Â You should aim for a minimum of 30 seconds on the ring handstand prior to moving on to the next variation.
Yours in Fitness,
Coach Sommer
The progressions he referred to were planche progressions of course
Ryan, thank you very much for sharing your personal correspondence!
So... what was the question? ![]()
Lol... I asked about iron x advice. If steven lowe's training regimen was what I should be doing. He instead recommended planche ring training and ring handstands. I finally got back to serious training and his words proved beyond valuable. My control and strength gains have doubled that of my fixed object training. I still hold a static low x every now and then lol. But most of my focus now is ring strength. FL BL PL and presses. Also muscle ups and reverse muscle ups are a big part of my training
I agree...
Getting a solid rings handstand, and working good planche, and close to front lever/back lever progressions before even thinking about starting cross work... good idea.
Otherwise cross will tear up your elbows and shoulders.