This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Daily stretches for traps

Started by Greg White, October 2, 2017 · 3 Replies · 126 Views

Greg White

Hi coaches,

I'm after some recommendaions for regular strecthing of the traps

My upper left trap strains occasionally, usually from nothing strenuous. The last two times it happened I woke up with it but I hadnt been training the previous day. It's not painful as such but it's there and it stops me training. Even though I dont have a strain at the moment I can feel a pulling sensation around my left upper trap when i place my chin onto my chest and also when i place my chin on my chest and then turn my head to the right to look into my right hand jeans pocket. I did the TB series properly for the first time last week and noticed that it had eased that pulling sensation when performing the movements described above. I'm taking this to be a good thing so I'm after advice on some stretches that can be performed more often than once a week. I'm unsure what would be good as the strecthes that are obviously targeting the traps, eg reach underneath, supine trap stretch, have a fair bit of warm up work before they are performed during the TB session. 

Thanks

Greg

Everett Carroll

Hey Greg,

Sorry to hear it! First off, I suggest consulting a sports physio or other medical professional.

In general, we do welcome performing the trap stretches from this series more often but be sure to keep the intensity lower and don't hold for more than 60 seconds. Ask your doctor if it is something you should be doing while this issue gets resolved, however. 

Alessandro Mainente

Hei Greg for good traps stretch the supine traps stretch it is fine, perform it as follows:

-arms overhead with legs straight and then bent knees

-arms down closer to the hips with depressed shoulders, both legs straight and bent knees.

Greg White

Thanks for the recommendations.

Cheers the description Alex, I'll give that a try.