Hey guys,
I am proud to say that I just started this new, wonderful sport called rowing (crewing). I have questions, but here is some backround for people who are unfamilliar with the sport.
Great stuff and it is the ultimate team sport in my opinion.
If you are not famillair with rowing here's a link:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rowing_(sport)
Now the way they measure the strength of a rower is through a machine commonly known as the erg:
http://purplemirage.net/blog_files/Erg1.jpg
Now the erg mimics normal rowing in a boat. You start with your back leaning foreward from the hips, arms straight, and your legs bent in a squat like this:
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_d28v5vyQfnc/S ... 00/erg.jpg
The guy is almost in what we call the catch (or foreward position before pulling)
To pull this fellow will push with his legs while keeping his arms straight and body foreward, then lean his body backwards, and finally pull his arms to his chest.
He will then push his arms forward (quickly) until straight, lean the body forward, and finally bend the knees and go into a squat. In that order.
The order starting at the catch is legs, body arms. Comming back its arms body legs.
Now this machine (and rowing in general) mainly utilizes the legs (the main driving force), puts stress on the lower back and abs, then lastly and least the arms.
For 2 kilometers of erging (the most commonly used distance) I erg at total time of 6:40 and a split of 1:39.
To put it in perspective Olympic rowers row below 6 minutes and the world record is 5 minutes and 19 seconds (almost 100% sure).
I was wondering if it would be wise to stick to GB training and shun using weights? (after reading this thread I am convinced the body weight training is the best at least for the upper body viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2989&hilit=gymnastics+superior&start=15)
I have never trained with any heavy metal before and have always taken the body weight approach.
Will lifting weights give me better results?
My main goal is to improve my time.
Thanks much,
Kombat