This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

exercises from gymnasticbodies social media

Started by Michael Vetter, October 1, 2017 · 14 Replies · 403 Views

Michael Vetter

Sometimes I see GymnasticBodies posting exercises I don't know (yet) on social media.

Since I am only in the beginning stages of F1 it's only normal that I dont know some, also I think some are combinations/playing with exercises.

 

However I have two things that interest me:

  • It was mentioned to use a bucket of rice/sand for wrist prehab/rehab, will that come in any of the courses or can one just implement that? What would be a good way of doing it, is there a too much?
  • Sometimes I see interesting stretching exercises I don't know about. I have all three stretch courses. So either this are seperate stretches not in the courses or stretches appear in later Foundation courses?

 

Étienne Lajeunesse

Hi @Michael Vetter,

Many stretches shown in the social media videos are integrated mobility in the foundation courses.  So it's totally normal to not know them all yet.

About the bucket of rice/sand, I don't think it's part of any courses in GB.  But I'm also interested to know more about it!

To coaches - Talking about bucket, what about the bucket flare (is that the right name)?  I saw many videos of GB athletes doing it, is it part of the curriculum?

Everett Carroll

I'm sure there are a million and a half exercises in Coach's mental database. He's selected the absolute best for you to train so feel fortunate that you don't need to sift through all of the options. He's already made the best programming for us. That said, if you see a cool exercise from a GB Athlete or Affiliate on social media, go ahead and play with it a little. 

Rayne-William Fitzgerald

Other than what has been stated.  The rice bucket wrist work is not part of Foundation or Handstand series. You can find more forearm training modalities with a basic web search.

On 10/1/2017 at 5:00 PM, Étienne Lajeunesse said:

To coaches - Talking about bucket, what about the bucket flare (is that the right name)?  I saw many videos of GB athletes doing it, is it part of the curriculum?

If I understand what you are saying... the "Bucket flair" circles is specific to pommel horse skill training.

Étienne Lajeunesse
14 hours ago, Rayne-William Fitzgerald said:

If I understand what you are saying... the "Bucket flair" circles is specific to pommel horse skill training.

Yeah exactly! It's not part of any courses, so is there a point where we practice them?

Leigh Kettle

Hey Michael

in reference to your question on rice I incorporated rice bucket training twice a week a few months back to help with elbow issues I was experiencing . It is absolute Gold  in my opinion . My now good buddy :-) ryan segervall who is on this forum Introduced me to a series of exercises I now do religiously . I've also posted a dedicated post on my Instagram account (leigh_kettle_gst) to all the exercises I do in the rice bucket and timings for them etc.

whether as part of a rehab programme or general conditioning of wrists/ forearms/elbows,  In my opinion and experience  I would highly recommend it to run alongside and contribute to your gb training, 

all the best 

Leigh 

Michael Vetter
21 hours ago, Leigh Kettle said:

Hey Michael

in reference to your question on rice I incorporated rice bucket training twice a week a few months back to help with elbow issues I was experiencing . It is absolute Gold  in my opinion . My now good buddy :-) ryan segervall who is on this forum Introduced me to a series of exercises I now do religiously . I've also posted a dedicated post on my Instagram account (leigh_kettle_gst) to all the exercises I do in the rice bucket and timings for them etc.

whether as part of a rehab programme or general conditioning of wrists/ forearms/elbows,  In my opinion and experience  I would highly recommend it to run alongside and contribute to your gb training, 

all the best 

Leigh 

Thanks Leigh, very helpful!

 

I'm not an insagram user though, and it seems to see your videos I need to become one?

Rayne-William Fitzgerald
On 10/4/2017 at 11:41 AM, Étienne Lajeunesse said:

Yeah exactly! It's not part of any courses, so is there a point where we practice them?

As for a point to start practising them... my guess would be when we start working through Foundation three or four.

For dedicated training, like the Rings course, I am more inclined to say after completing Foundation four.

 

Étienne Lajeunesse
12 hours ago, Rayne-William Fitzgerald said:

As for a point to start practising them... my guess would be when we start working through Foundation three or four.

But there's no progression for this one?

Jin Liu
1 hour ago, Étienne Lajeunesse said:

But there's no progression for this one?

No experience here, but I also look forward to doing that one day. I'm seriously thinking of adding a mushroom into my garage gym just for that. Just my guess, since the movement requires a strong core in all directions, I'd master all the hollow body rocks, arch body rocks, and side arch body rocks before any regular training with the bucket flair :). Also, working on strong shoulder depression should be part of it too.

Everett Carroll
6 hours ago, Étienne Lajeunesse said:

But there's no progression for this one?

It is not part of the beginner level curriculum so that means Coach wants us to work on our basics more prior to training these. They are certainly somewhere in his programming and when we're ready for them, he'll let us know :)

Étienne Lajeunesse

Oh ok! I understand.  Still looking forward to do this in a few year ahah!

Thanks @Everett Carroll :)

Michael Vetter
17 hours ago, Everett Carroll said:

It is not part of the beginner level curriculum so that means Coach wants us to work on our basics more prior to training these. They are certainly somewhere in his programming and when we're ready for them, he'll let us know :)

We are still talking about the exercise where you curl your wrist around in a bucket of rice?

I mean you could do that in the evening while watching TV or something, right?

Étienne Lajeunesse
4 minutes ago, Michael Vetter said:

We are still talking about the exercise where you curl your wrist around in a bucket of rice?

Hey Michael,

No, he's saying that for the bucket flare and other advanced tumbling skills. :)

I sure will try to work with rice now for my wrists however!

Michael Vetter

Ah I see, already wondered ... haha