This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Dowel Movements

Started by Ryan Segervall, October 1, 2017 · 5 Replies · 135 Views

Ryan Segervall

A question popped into my head the other day about the use of the dowel for shoulder mobility, dislocates and extension work specifically. 

 

I was wondering if we should allow the dowel to pull us into end range of motion or try to use as little of the dowel as possible only holding onto it for guidance. For example if I try to dislocate through my active range of motion without letting the dowel pull me, my hands are significantly further apart than if I held on tight to the dowel with a narrow grip and allowed it pull me into that end range of motion. 

 

Recommendations?  

Thanks! 

Pauline Taube

Hi Ryan,

I am not sure if I understand exactly what you mean here. Do you mind posting a video of the different movements?

Étienne Lajeunesse

Hi, @Pauline Taube and @Ryan Segervall it makes me think about something else.

Is it possible to keep a full shoulder width, closed hands shoulder extension without any tool to hold on to?  I've tried it and the closest I can go is just outside the shoulders.

Ryan Segervall
3 hours ago, Pauline Taube said:

Hi Ryan,

I am not sure if I understand exactly what you mean here. Do you mind posting a video of the different movements?

In this video I try to show what I was saying. 

First example) Dislocate with as much activation of the posterior shoulder as I can. feeling strong contractions pulling my arms back behind me

 

Second example) Without a dowel some concept, trying to actively pull my hand behind me. The first example to quite similar in the amount of muscle activation I get with minor contribution coming from the dowel. The dowel is more or less there to help guide my shoulders rather than pull them into end range 

 

Third example) Much closer grip and muscle activation goes way down. I would consider this my passive range of motion and not yet my active. I cannot contract the posterior musculature when my hands go behind me, and thus the dowel pulls me into this range of motion feeling more of a stretch on the anterior shoulder, pec, and bicep but less active work on the posterior side. 

Hope this helps clear up my question. 

is there a preferred technique? 

Leo Trinidad

Hi @Ryan Segervall,

I believe that the dowel is a tool to help you maximize your mobility. And it is harder to do it without the guide thus you will see your active range of motion once you do it without the dowel. As for your third example, do not overthink it. You are able to do the form correctly and yes there are less active work on the posterior side but know that mobility takes time. Getting control on that range of motion requires time. Keep working on it. You are doing a good job. Don't overthink it.

Ryan Segervall

@Leo Trinidad Thank you for the advise Leo. i'll do my best to stop overthinking it, and let the process play out  :)