This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Supine Shoulder Extension - Hands can't touch each other

Started by Stefan Broeder, September 30, 2017 · 3 Replies · 110 Views

Stefan Broeder

Hi. I'm unable to touch my hand together behind my back with straight arms.

When I try to touch hands together, my elbows are bent, arms pronate and shoulders are forward:

20170917_130442.thumb.jpg.6477bbc1c21dd4333625abfda1c9473b.jpg

When I force my arms to be straight, my hands are far apart, but shoulders look better:

20170917_130456.thumb.jpg.fa6f59ccdcc4bc9f5fe695b7cfc2c5ca.jpg

 

Although coach says in the video that not much is happening with a wide grip, I do feel a good stretch in the shoulders in this position. 
Is it okay for me to keep with this form and let it gradually get better?

Alessandro Mainente

HI Stefan , have you tried to sit up higher on a block?

Mikey Cunanan

@Stefan Broeder

You can also try performing this exercise with the form in your second image but holding a towel between your hands. Over time you will be able to narrow your hand position until they are touching.

Suzanna McGee

I also started with wider position… I felt it TONS… then week by week, I was getting the hands closer. And then they were touching, so I was going deeper.