This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Vertical Frog - scaling

Started by Stefan Broeder, September 30, 2017 · 4 Replies · 157 Views

Stefan Broeder

Hi! I have an issue getting into the vertical frog position, and was looking for the best way to scale the exercise.

If I just try to lower myself into it, I don't get any deeper than this:

20170917_125632.thumb.jpg.22e3846dcd86f042ed4aefd963c99a20.jpg

It feels like either hamstrings or adductors of the straight leg are stretching tight. I believe the stretch should be felt in the other leg, correct?

So I tried from the ground up:

20170917_125555.thumb.jpg.24bc8a13f84f2d6ab4734c22471c0422.jpg

The problem here is that I can't get my legs apart more than about 90 degrees. Also no APT possible.

So then I've tried using blocks, and I actually need the height of my table before I can get some APT:

20170917_125702.thumb.jpg.2c73cae0050cd6c09775e4a788014dee.jpg20170917_125657.thumb.jpg.5498bef3af07e782ecedc4ed7128e747.jpg

In this position, I need to put effort to keep my back from rounding and to pull my legs apart. Also, the stretch is now mostly felt in the bent leg, somewhere near the hip joint.

I was wondering if this is a correct way to scale it, and if someone can explain me where I should feel the stretch.

Alessandro Mainente

HI STefan you are actually extremely tight, this exercise it is difficult to be scaled. The solution is to spend daily time on this variation so that you can have an additional benefit in this position.

Oussama KHELLADI
On 9/30/2017 at 7:38 PM, Alessandro Mainente said:

HI STefan you are actually extremely tight, this exercise it is difficult to be scaled. The solution is to spend daily time on this variation so that you can have an additional benefit in this position.

i have a question about this exercise what would be the outcome to master side to side in the other MSS stretches right now am doing them with 15 KG plate 5*5

Everett Carroll

That is plenty of strength for mastery of side to side squats, Ousamma. Unweighted is fine for this series, as they are just used for warming up the hips.

Oussama KHELLADI
2 hours ago, Everett Carroll said:

That is plenty of strength for mastery of side to side squats, Ousamma. Unweighted is fine for this series, as they are just used for warming up the hips.

thank you everett i found out that when i do the side to side squat the muscles get loosen quickly so  i was curious to know if it can hack the frog stretch with time