This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Forearm Headstand - How to counteract a fall forwards

Started by James Cook, September 30, 2017 · 9 Replies · 302 Views

James Cook

Hi,

I'm on the first level of the forearm headstand and so far have managed to hold it once for 11 seconds.

My problem is that I keep falling forwards (as in straight over onto my back). I can geel it happening but don't know how to correct it before it's too late.

Suggestions?

Thanks all.

Mikey Cunanan
6 hours ago, James Cook said:

Hi,

I'm on the first level of the forearm headstand and so far have managed to hold it once for 11 seconds.

My problem is that I keep falling forwards (as in straight over onto my back). I can geel it happening but don't know how to correct it before it's too late.

Suggestions?

Thanks all.

Hey James,

To identify the issue we will need to see a video of you performing the exercise in question. The problem may be due to an error in technique, alignment, or simply a fear of falling.

In the meantime, you can practice headstands with your back a few inches from a wall. If you all overboard the wall will catch you.

James Cook

Good point - how do I post a video on this forum?

Pauline Taube

Hi James,

you can upload your video on a platform like YouTube or Dropbox and copy paste the link here. Please make sure to change the settings from private to unlisted so that so are able to view the footage :) 

Tobias Karlsson

Hi James.

I have had the same happen a few times. What I have done is the following. I focus more on PPT, this makes sure that I do not push my weight forward. Secondly, I try and concentrate on how much force I put on my head and my elbows. A good balance between them makes me feel more secure. 

James Cook

Thanks for that - I'll post the video later. Tobias - what is PPT?

Pauline Taube

Great question, James. PPT=posterior pelvic tilt. This is the opposite position of anterior pelvic tilt (APT). You want to tilt your pelvic forward by squeezing your glutes. While keeping your legs straight this will prevent your low back from arching. 

Please let us know if you have any other questions! Looking forward to the video :D 

Tobias Karlsson

When You arch your back your weight shifts and it is very easy to fall on your back

Andy Vitus

Don't make the mistake of interlocking your fingers behind your head. If you fall over, you get your knuckles crushed!

Rayne-William Fitzgerald

1. With your scapula elevated and pressing your forearms into the surface you are working with, use your hands for additional balance.

Just in case... a yoga mat and carpet make forearm supported headstands (aka: Salamba Sirsasana) more difficult.  As with handstands and a great deal of gymnastic strength training in general, overall core strength and connective tissue development is helpful.