This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

RC/PE14 (Wide grip behind the neck pull-up)

Started by Petri Widsten, September 29, 2017 · 10 Replies · 118 Views

Petri Widsten

I started on these today. Is there something to fix?

 

Mikey Cunanan

Hey Petri,

Your hand placement will need to be wider than shown in the video for optimal activation of your upper back muscles and rear delts. At the top of the pull-up your forearms should be parallel to each other.

Petri Widsten

Hi Mikey

Yeah, no problem, I also used a wider grip, about double shoulder width like for the next PE. My forearms are parallel. You probably meant vertical.

Petri Widsten
21 hours ago, Mikey Cunanan said:

Hey Petri,

Your hand placement will need to be wider than shown in the video for optimal activation of your upper back muscles and rear delts. At the top of the pull-up your forearms should be parallel to each other.

A few reps with wider hand placement. I used the whole horizontal length of the bar. Hope these are good.

 

Jin Liu

Hi @Petri Widsten, I'm sure you can pull it all the way to the bottom of the neck! :) 

Leo Trinidad

Hi @Petri Widsten,

The width of the bar is okay but as Jin said, you need to pull all the way to the bottom of the neck.

Petri Widsten

Hi @Jin Liuand @Leo Trinidad

I'm not sure I can pull lower. Strenghtwise it's not a problem but I may not have the mobility. Which mobility exercises would help?

Jin Liu
2 hours ago, Petri Widsten said:

Hi @Jin Liuand @Leo Trinidad

I'm not sure I can pull lower. Strenghtwise it's not a problem but I may not have the mobility. Which mobility exercises would help?

Personally I feel retracting the shoulder blades strongly, and keep the body as a straight line helps. A small curve in the back can prematurely block the bar during the ascent. Think pull behind the body, not just the head. 

Im also curious to hear what the coach says @Leo Trinidad

Alessandro Mainente

Hei Petri do you have Foundations 3?

Petri Widsten
27 minutes ago, Alessandro Mainente said:

Hei Petri do you have Foundations 3?

Yes. Some good iM in there?

Alessandro Mainente

Definitely, especially from HBP.