This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Plantar fasciitis / ankle tendonitis question

Started by Hilary Eppley, September 28, 2017 · 10 Replies · 108 Views

Hilary Eppley

I am a once and future long distance runner and have been working for the last 6 months to come back from plantar fasciitis and ankle tendonitis on one side (plus some piriformis issues on that side as well!).  Up until this point I've been doing some stretching and yoga a few times a week alongside 1 hour of some sort of aerobic activity each day (walking, water walking against a lazy river current, and running) for the last 2 months, and I've managed to work my way back running 4 days a week and my longest run in 6 months (4.5 mi) this past weekend. My PT has been treating with massage, ultrasound, and some H-wave, and although it is still bugging me a bit, it is much improved.  I signed up for the Fundamentals course after hearing you talk about your philosophy on injuries.   Any exercises I need to either watch out for or spend more time in during the Fundamentals course based on my issues?   

Alessandro Mainente

Hi Hilary , generally speaking, the problem at the foot as ion th other connective tissue places are due to weak muscles. it is normal now asking you if you do ant type of work for your calves and hips?

Hilary Eppley

I've been doing a few activities (things like squats and lunges and sideways walks with a theraband) but probably not enough.  :)  Should I be upping those before starting or while doing Fundamentals?   

Everett Carroll

Hi Hilary,

My recommendation is to focus on Fundamentals and, if you have the option, to begin our Stretch Courses. The Front Split Series specifically is going to address the calf and hip work that Alex brought up. As a former long distance runner, I can say with complete confidence that that series is going to be essential for you. It will get straight to the point with the stretches you need and you can start it now, alongside Fundamentals.

Keep doing your sideways "monster" walks, squats, etc., after your daily Fundamentals lesson but put the Front Split Series a the top of your priority list. Foundation One and the three Stretch Courses are our recommended next step for Fundamentals graduates, but your stretching can/should begin now if possible.

Hilary Eppley

That's helpful, thanks! 

Hilary Eppley

Follow up question--so I signed up for the Front Split stretching course.  How many times should I do it in a week if I am rehabbing my ankle and hip?  I plan to run T, R, Sa, Su.   Are there better days of the week would to add the stretch sequence given that running schedule?   

Jeffrey Bittner

Hi Hilary,

Hard stretching should only be done one time per week, though you are welcome to include one or two key stretches into your workout routine. I suggest picking one hip and one ankle stretch from the series to do before and after your runs, but ave the rest of the series for your specific stretch days.

Hilary Eppley

Is it better to do that hard session on a running day or non-running day?  If the former, before or after the run?

Tanya Hill

Hi Hilary, 

Great question. My recommedation is to use on non- running days for sure as well as after running days. :) 

Hilary Eppley

@Tanya Hill But if you had to pick ONE day for the full stretch program, which would it be (not clear from your answer)?  If it helps, my "long run" (such that it is) is on Sunday (with shorter runs on T, R, Sa).   

Everett Carroll

Stretch after your run, while you're still warm.