This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Completing mobility steps

Started by Lucy Criddle, September 27, 2017 · 5 Replies · 108 Views

Lucy Criddle

Hello team, 

I'm sure that this question has been asked before, but I can't find it nor instructions on the website. (Or maybe I'm having a blonde moment). 

Does the full mobility need to be mastered before progressing to the next progress level (e.g., PE2 to PE3)? For example, for HS/PE2, I'm expecting to progress through the headstand fairly quickly, but it's going to take me much longer until I can hold the weighted bar at 90 degrees with shoulder-width hands. Currently I can do either 45 degrees with shoulder-width hands or 90 degrees with them much wider. 

I also have a similar situation with sPL/PE1 (aka my nemesis - so progression is slower) but my right knee can't quite read the floor yet without my right glute losing contact with the floor. 

Aside from these specific examples, in case anyone else has the same, is there a general rule? 

Thank you!

Everett Carroll

Hi Lucy,

Yes, absolutely. Before advancing to the next progression, your mobility and strength must both be at mastery level. The goal is to create a balance between strength and mobility. Since your mobility is what needs a little extra work in some areas, your related strength work will be put on maintenance until your mobility catches up. 

Here is a link to the introductory articles that may be helpful for you: https://my.gymnasticbodies.com/f-start/

For more detailed help with those troublesome mobility progressions, I suggest posting form checks in the Handstand and Foundation One form check sections. 

 

Mikey Cunanan

Hey Lucy,

In order to progress to the next progression, you must perform mastery standard for both strength and mobility exercises. While this may seem frustrating at first (especially if you can master the strength element but not the mobility) it will help immensely when it comes to the later progressions.

More often than not, when people get stuck on certain progressions it's because failure to meet mobility requirement.

In both situations you have explained in your post, the mobility deficit can be remedied with the thoracic bridge and middlesplit stretch courses respectively.

 

Mikey Cunanan
Just now, Mikey Cunanan said:

Hey Lucy,

In order to progress to the next progression, you must perform mastery standard for both strength and mobility exercises. While this may seem frustrating at first (especially if you can master the strength element but not the mobility) it will help immensely when it comes to the later progressions.

More often than not, when people get stuck on certain progressions it's because failure to meet mobility requirement.

In both situations you have explained in your post, the mobility deficit can be remedied with the thoracic bridge and middlesplit stretch courses respectively.

 

Looks like Everett beat me to the punch! Darn it ;) 

Lucy Criddle
29 minutes ago, Everett Carroll said:

Hi Lucy,

Yes, absolutely. Before advancing to the next progression, your mobility and strength must both be at mastery level. The goal is to create a balance between strength and mobility. Since your mobility is what needs a little extra work in some areas, your related strength work will be put on maintenance until your mobility catches up. 

Here is a link to the introductory articles that may be helpful for you: https://my.gymnasticbodies.com/f-start/

For more detailed help with those troublesome mobility progressions, I suggest posting form checks in the Handstand and Foundation One form check sections. 

 

Oh noooo!! Thank you for the quick reply. 

Actually I'm a bit relieved that it's only these couple of areas. Especially for the handstand is a good incentive to keep practicing. Luckily range of motion is less of an issue here, more the strength. While I'm here - can I ask what the weight of the bar should be? I use 2.5kg on a dowel. If I have to start using a barbell bar (I train at a crossfit gym), it will take me forever.

Presumably it's also ok to do this drill daily/ more regularly to help with this? Currently I aim to do HS only 2x per week. 

Thanks :-)

Everett Carroll

Hey Lucy,

Let's keep further questions about this in the Handstand One section of the forum. We try to keep private course material organized using those subsections. Bar weight recommendations will be easy to find in previous threads over there :) Performing troublesome iM's regularly, even daily, is a great idea. Keep the intensity low and rely on consistency to generate progress. Pushing too hard, especially with weighted mobility work, can increase your injury risk.