This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

HSE 1 and HSE 2

Started by Johannes Walser, September 27, 2017 · 19 Replies · 501 Views

Johannes Walser

Hello together!

I am stuck since may with Static "Standing Shoulder Extension with Weighted B" HSE 1.

So my progression is not as fast as i would like it to be..

Is it therefore recommendable to train HSE 1 and HSE 2 at the same time?

I guess there might be some synergies..

Regards

Johannes

Pauline Taube

Hi Johannes,

How does your current schedule looks like and how long have you been doing it for?

You may train these courses simultaneously. 

Johannes Walser

my shedule is like this:

monday: f1 - all elements

tuesday: crossfit

wednesday: yoga + hse1

thursday: crossfit

friday: running

saturday: f1 all elements + hse1

sunday: crossfit

I have a solid athletic background, so no promblems with training every day. Now and the i throw in a rest day anyways. However i started gb an yoga to adress my (mostly mobility) weeknesses and improve my handstand.

ajja.. i think i srated f1 in august and hse 1 in june..

regards

johannes

Pauline Taube

This is looking good, Johannes. 

Could you please submit a form check of this iM? It might be good to add some more stretching to your weekly schedule. The Thoracic Bridge course includes some great shoulder mobility and shoulder extension exercises that will help you improve your mobility further for this exercise. 

Johannes Walser

Finally figured ouf how to post videos

Alessandro Mainente

Hei Johannes, remember that the primary goal if this exercise it the range of motion. if you cannot lift the bar up to 90° then:

-the grip is too narrow

-the bar weights too much.

Adjust both of them until you can reach the prescribed requirement of 90°.

Fiona Silk

OK, I'm also way off 90 for this one, although I am happily progressing through headstands. What can I do to fix this quickly - can I work on it every day, with weights? Or should I do one day with weights (as part of PE2/IM2) and one day just doing something like straight up shoulder dislocates?

Also, presumably German hang would also help?

I'm doing them with 2.5kg on the stick.

Thought I would post here instead of starting a new thread.

Thanks!

Pauline Taube

Hi Fiona,

Thanks for reaching out. You are definitely not the only one struggling with this progression at first, lack of shoulder extension is very common for adults. Unfortunately there's no quick fix when it comes to restoring mobility deficits. Consistency is really the key here.  

In order to give you more specific advices it would be helpful with a video. German hand does help with shoulder extension if done correctly. I would also add the Thoracic Bridge series to your current schedule if you haven't already. These series includes exercises that are great for shoulder extension as well. Apart from that you may want to do the this iM 2-3 times a week. Remember that you should reach a 90 degree angle with a broom at shoulder width before adding any weights. Again, a video would be helpful in order to assess your form properly:) 

Michael Vetter

Very nice question.

I am in a similar situation:

I can go 90 degree with a normal stick. But with a weighted bar (dont know how much it weights, didnt see any number on it) I get this:

hs.thumb.jpg.539aebf6f40b4b3752f0fc7b99ec9bc0.jpg

On 11/19/2017 at 6:28 PM, Pauline Taube said:

Hi Fiona,

Thanks for reaching out. You are definitely not the only one struggling with this progression at first, lack of shoulder extension is very common for adults. Unfortunately there's no quick fix when it comes to restoring mobility deficits. Consistency is really the key here.  

In order to give you more specific advices it would be helpful with a video. German hand does help with shoulder extension if done correctly. I would also add the Thoracic Bridge series to your current schedule if you haven't already. These series includes exercises that are great for shoulder extension as well. Apart from that you may want to do the this iM 2-3 times a week. Remember that you should reach a 90 degree angle with a broom at shoulder width before adding any weights. Again, a video would be helpful in order to assess your form properly:) 

Very good to know! Can/should one do the whole H1 2-3 times a week or only the iM which makes problems?

So far my wrists feel great, no soreness or anything, even one day after the training.

On 10/5/2017 at 12:00 AM, Alessandro Mainente said:

Hei Johannes, remember that the primary goal if this exercise it the range of motion. if you cannot lift the bar up to 90° then:

-the grip is too narrow

-the bar weights too much.

Adjust both of them until you can reach the prescribed requirement of 90°.

Good to know! In the gym where I train I can either use a stick (which has two strange plate-things at the end, so I cannot put a weight on the stick) or a bar.

Maybe I should bring my own stick and weights so I can progress in between and not either have totally light and totally heavy. What is the kg one should be able to hold at 90 degrees to have achieved mastery?

Alessandro Mainente

2-3 kgs it is fine. 

Remember that the achievement must be reached gradually. jumping from wood bar to weighted bar it is too much. adding 0.5 kg or 1 kg it is more reasonable. it is the ability to hold the bar at 90àof extension which determinates how much weight you can use. if you can't the weight it is too much.

Michael Vetter

Thanks Alessandro!

Yeah the bar seems to be more than 2-3kg to be honest. I will have to look for something else to use. Maybe doing this exercise at home and not in the studio.

Michael Vetter

@Alessandro Mainente this is what it looks like with 2.5kg.

What should be improved? Would you consider this already mastery?

hsim.thumb.jpg.84167621dc80fb94ae55a3c521c576e3.jpg

Alessandro Mainente

Hey Michael, I prefer a video, from the back and from the side for a complete review.

Michael Vetter

@Alessandro Mainente here it is:

Though it is without warmup and at the end of the week ;) I will do another one next time I train, to see if it makes a difference. But I am curious already :)

Alessandro Mainente

HI Michael, well reduce the weight a bit and increase the height of the lift.

Leo Trinidad

Hi @Michael Vetter,

You cannot use a band in this iM for mastery. A band is a lot easier than a dowel. 

Alessandro Mainente
1 hour ago, Michael Vetter said:

@Alessandro Mainente

What about now?

https://youtu.be/v6gU6OU7r7I

 

 

The range of motion must be improved.

You must strive to stay vertical with the upper body.

As stated by Leo the elastic band it is not allowed since if you have less range of motion, it can adapt.

A wood bar it is required or a towel.

Michael Vetter

Alright good to know.

I was using the weighted bar, until I found out it was too heavy. They dont have a wood bar in that gym so I thought I take this elastic band, wasn't aware of the difference between towel and band.

Maybe I just look for an old broom to bring to the gym ;)

Jennifer Marie

How about a yoga strap? 

I use a PVC pipe most of the time, but at the office, I practice this movement and dislocates between bouts of hunching over the keyboard, and I use a yoga strap then. Very portable, and won't let you cheat with a little stretch like elastic.

I'd guess with the weight on it, one would have to pull the hands apart as well as up to keep the strap (or elastic in this video) straight under the tension of the weight. I've heard the cue "pull the bar apart" in lifting as a way to encourage the athlete to keep the shoulders properly rotated, so I'm curious if the pulling in this situation (keeping the weight elevated on the strap) would be a good or bad addition to the movement?