This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Tight - middle spilt program

Started by Chan Angus, September 26, 2017 · 10 Replies · 241 Views

Chan Angus

Hi I have very terrible mobility. I tried to follow middle spilt instructions and I think I can do most of them, as simple as a pancake when the upper body holds straight and sit on the floor. Similar situation happened when doing the spilt against the wall. Also doing front spilt program, I am having the same problem.

Kindly advise how I can start. I really want to improve my mobility. 

Regards,

Anghs

IMG_2097.JPG

Mats Trane
4 hours ago, Chan Angus said:

Hi I have very terrible mobility. I tried to follow middle spilt instructions and I think I can do most of them, as simple as a pancake when the upper body holds straight and sit on the floor. Similar situation happened when doing the spilt against the wall. Also doing front spilt program, I am having the same problem.

Kindly advise how I can start. I really want to improve my mobility. 

Regards,

Anghs

IMG_2097.JPG

Hi I moved your post to the middle split series

Mats Trane

Start with your pancake elevated. Sit on something and go from there.

Chan Angus

Thanks very much. I must follow your advice and try

Chan Angus
On 9/26/2017 at 8:04 PM, Mats Trane said:

Start with your pancake elevated. Sit on something and go from there.

Can I do it on this way?

 

IMG_2256.JPG

Jin Liu
5 hours ago, Chan Angus said:

Can I do it on this way?

 

IMG_2256.JPG

I don't think it's necessary to elevate the hip when you are lying on the ground. I think what Mats meant is to use blocks when you are SITTING on the ground to elevate your hips. When lying on the ground, just let the legs hang as far as they can go. Let the weight of the legs do the work.

Chan Angus

Oh thanks very much Jin. How stupid I am? 

I thought I had to get closer to the wall as much as I can. 

Got it now. Thanks to keep sharing

Tanya Hill

Definitely the goal is to get your sit all the way to the wall and have your hamstrings touching the wall. While working on the seated pancake elevate your hips to allow for your back to stretch and fold forward. 

Keep the videos coming Chan, that is the best way to receive feedback and make sure you are in the correct position. :)

Leigh Kettle

HI chan 

im in now way a coach but I can give you advice that I've been given here and that had helped me so hopefully I can help you - hopefully a coach may confirm what I am saying also 

yes on the laying down one get your butt as close to the wall as you can then keeping your legs locked completely , lower your legs as far as they will go but keep them slightly off the wall. This will be very challenging from the start but scale it as needed (i.e. Less time or use your hands hands for assistance etc) and it will get easier I assure you 

for the standard seated pancake elevate yourself as much as you need to in order to be able to sit up straihght and not round your lower back even if you are up on a chair it's fine to begin with . Then as you get more comfortable  here you can start to decrease the height of what you are sat up on .

i would also recommend daily doing a "light " stretch in the standing pancake. Focus on keeping back straight and apt and locked legs and just fold forward a little (imagining trying to compress quads to belly ) to feel the stretch . As I say keep it light and less intense as your weekly stretch series . 

Also doing this with a very slight bend in the knee can help to begin with to help you compress more but aim for straight legs as you improve 

hope this help 

you will improve I assure you

Just put in  the time 

good luck 

Chan Angus
7 hours ago, Leigh Kettle said:

HI chan 

im in now way a coach but I can give you advice that I've been given here and that had helped me so hopefully I can help you - hopefully a coach may confirm what I am saying also 

yes on the laying down one get your butt as close to the wall as you can then keeping your legs locked completely , lower your legs as far as they will go but keep them slightly off the wall. This will be very challenging from the start but scale it as needed (i.e. Less time or use your hands hands for assistance etc) and it will get easier I assure you 

for the standard seated pancake elevate yourself as much as you need to in order to be able to sit up straihght and not round your lower back even if you are up on a chair it's fine to begin with . Then as you get more comfortable  here you can start to decrease the height of what you are sat up on .

i would also recommend daily doing a "light " stretch in the standing pancake. Focus on keeping back straight and apt and locked legs and just fold forward a little (imagining trying to compress quads to belly ) to feel the stretch . As I say keep it light and less intense as your weekly stretch series . 

Also doing this with a very slight bend in the knee can help to begin with to help you compress more but aim for straight legs as you improve 

hope this help 

you will improve I assure you

Just put in  the time 

good luck 

thanks very much Leigh! I feel you guys are so great here - so willing to share with each other. Stretching's progress is not apparent than weight training's. I will keep my patience and practicing. All the best! 

Leigh Kettle

Good luck chan look forward to seeing you progress