This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

SLS PE 2

Started by Ryan Segervall, September 23, 2017 · 12 Replies · 145 Views

Ryan Segervall

- This is my first go at SLS PE2. Using a 10lb counterweight here. Any tips and suggestions on what I can to improve? 

Pauline Taube

Very nice, Ryan. Try to engage the quad on the straight leg in order to keep the knee locked and toes pointed :) 

Ryan Segervall
9 hours ago, Pauline Taube said:

Very nice, Ryan. Try to engage the quad on the straight leg in order to keep the knee locked and toes pointed :) 

Thanks! I was definitely thinking more compress the hip than extend the knee on these attempts. Ill keep it in mind next go around :) 

Ryan Segervall

- with counter weight 

 

- without counter weight 

 

Hey just thought id check back in again with this weeks training. I was able to get a better lock out on the knee and things were all around much more crampy in the quads :) couple questions 

 

1) should I use a counter weight, i played around without it and it appears I can hold the bottom position without the counter weight, but thought I would get a coaches opinion. 

2) The im is two difficult so Ive just been sticking to the im from se1 (2 legged hamstring curl instead of single). My next step was to work eccentrics with the single leg then eventually progress up to doing the full im for se2. Thoughts? 

Pauline Taube

Hi Ryan,

Nice work here. 

I'd recommend to go for mastery without counter weight on these as this will require more stability and control.

SL negatives is a great way to scale and work your way to do single leg hamstrings curl. Looking forward to see your progress here. These are definitely tough :)

Ryan Segervall

- how does this look without a counter weight? Is the bending of lower back okay for this progression? 

- how do these eccentrics look? 

Oussama KHELLADI
On 08/10/2017 at 10:13 PM, Ryan Segervall said:

how does this look without a counter weight? Is the bending of lower back okay for this progression?

- how do these eccentrics look? 

Hi Ryan

 how's your front split and pike ? the flexibility of your hamstring and lower back will help you maintain your position without falling try to push your chest forward as mush as possible .

the eccentric looks good keep pushing ;)

 

Oussama KHELLADI
On 08/10/2017 at 10:13 PM, Ryan Segervall said:

how does this look without a counter weight? Is the bending of lower back okay for this progression?

- how do these eccentrics look? 

Hi Ryan

 how's your front split and pike ? the flexibility of your hamstring and lower back will help you maintain your position without falling try to push your chest forward as mush as possible .

the eccentric looks good keep pushing ;)

 

Ryan Segervall
7 hours ago, Oussama KHELLADI said:

Hi Ryan

 how's your front split and pike ? the flexibility of your hamstring and lower back will help you maintain your position without falling try to push your chest forward as mush as possible .

the eccentric looks good keep pushing ;)

 

Pike is decent, I have palms on the floor no problem. I will post a video when I get a chance for visual reference. 

Jin Liu

If your ankle mobility allows, try push your knee out over the toes without lifting your heel. This will help shift your center of gravity more towards mid foot.

Josh Shaw

@Ryan Segervall hey, just wondering how your progress on the iM went.  I saw you posted a form check for SE3, so I'm assuming you were able to master these, but I didn't see any progress updates on this.

 

I'm in the same boat as you were when you posted this a couple months ago.  The single leg bridge curl is so much harder than with two legs.  When I have the working leg fully extended, I can barely hold the position, let alone start the curl.  I've been alternating days between two modifications.  In addition to single leg eccentrics like you did, I also do single leg bridge holds for time.  It's too early to tell how it's going so far though.

Ryan Segervall
On 1/3/2018 at 10:13 AM, Josh Shaw said:

@Ryan Segervall hey, just wondering how your progress on the iM went.  I saw you posted a form check for SE3, so I'm assuming you were able to master these, but I didn't see any progress updates on this.

 

I'm in the same boat as you were when you posted this a couple months ago.  The single leg bridge curl is so much harder than with two legs.  When I have the working leg fully extended, I can barely hold the position, let alone start the curl.  I've been alternating days between two modifications.  In addition to single leg eccentrics like you did, I also do single leg bridge holds for time.  It's too early to tell how it's going so far though.

Yes its a long road indeed and im still on it. I just started being able to preform the IM for a couple consecutive reps but have lots more work to do. here is a current update on where im at 

 

 I will be doing these until they are completely mastered then move on to the next im. And provided all of the im's in foundations 3 are geared toward building hamstring strength I moved on to pe3 to keep developing my pistol squat while my hamstring strength continues to get better. 

Tips for you

1) eccentrics, eccentrics, eccentrics. make them slow and controlled up to 10s if possible

2) when transitioning to the full rep there are a couple things you can do to make it more feasible. 1) use the non working leg to help as little as possible on the way up. 2) bend the non working leg, this will make things just a little easier. 3) find a slippery surface :) 

 

hope this helps 

Suzanna McGee
On 1/3/2018 at 9:13 AM, Josh Shaw said:

I'm in the same boat as you were when you posted this a couple months ago.  The single leg bridge curl is so much harder than with two legs.  When I have the working leg fully extended, I can barely hold the position, let alone start the curl.  I've been alternating days between two modifications.  In addition to single leg eccentrics like you did, I also do single leg bridge holds for time.  It's too early to tell how it's going so far though.

The transition from two to one leg was really hard for me too… one day I tried on on roller-skates  :-)  There was almost no friction and I could get some smoother reps in. The over time, as I got stronger, I put the roller-skates aside and started to do it just in my socks. But the neuromuscular pathway was already there, and it was doable (not easy, though).