This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Novel Stimulus and programmed rest

Started by Daniel Kiely, September 22, 2017 · 4 Replies · 360 Views

Daniel Kiely

Hi Everyone. 

I must admit, I am kind of hoping Coach Sommer reads this and at least tells me I am misguided. But for a while now I have been wondering about the lack of Novel Stimulus in the program and the removal of programmed deload weeks. 

I have been going for 12 months now and have encountered, as it seems others have, plateaus. And when these are encountered the idea is just keep pushing. The saying "If you always do what you always have done you will always get what you have always got" does not seem relevant in GB programs. With the bodies ability to adapt to Stimulus being well documented I thought that having a novel movement week or two may help break the bodies adaption cycle?

I suppose that dovetails into the next part, the removal of the deload weeks. I read somewhere early on that it was done because the work load of Foundation 1 was no so great and that they were not required. I can tell you they are for me! I work two full time jobs and have a young family my recovery is taxed, I would happily pay more to have a deload week incorporated automatically in my program. Am I foolish in thinking that work load is relative? 

Just so people understand, I am in love with the program. I have seen results, the best ones being in flexability. I thought I was flexible before, ha! Who was I kidding. I truely believe gymnastics is the best prehab for life. Also I am not bored with the program nor do I have trouble with doing the hard yards, I don't want anything that I have not earned.

It was our mate Tim Ferriss that introduced me to Minimum Effective Dose in fitness and GB.

I don't have spare time, if my GB training can be more effective I am keen to know. 

Thanks for everyone's time. 

Daniel

Alessandro Mainente

HI Daniel , a personal suggestion from my experience:

-do not add the deload week.

-instead of adding the deload week you can choose to train the same movement 2 times a week, but the second day will be with 2/3 of the repetitions/seconds of the first day. This will keep the body fresh. beginner do not need deload week.

Coach Sommer

Hi Daniel,

Good questions.

- Deload weeks were removed in F1 because the VAST majority of F1 students were already inconsistent with their training.  As such they already had plenty of unintentional deloads built into their training.

- Notice also that there is no longer a mandatory schedule that must be maintained.  The students are now in complete control of their own schedule.  If you need a deload, take one.

- Regarding the plateaus, that is what the customer service reps and other forum members are here to assist with.  Make sure to regularly submit videos for technical review and assistance as well as to open discussion threads regarding possible scheduling or training solutions.

Bottom line, training can always be more effective.  However it is important to also remember that training is a fluid environment and today's highly effective solution often becomes tomorrow's impediment if we are rigid and fail to adapt as necessary as our physical capacities change and improve.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Daniel Kiely

Hi Coach, 

Thankyou for the response, I can only imagine you are very busy. 

On 23/09/2017 at 12:15 AM, Coach Sommer said:

VAST majority of F1 students were already inconsistent with their training.

I can totally understand this, and can relate. I suppose it is the the periods were I have been more consistent that I have started to feel the fatigue, generally in all my weakest areas (Scap Shrugs! Damn scap shrugs). Also I am a killer for doing what ever is on the video, so if I want a deload week I have to go through and change the settings (as I have done) to get a lighter load. I suppose I was being a little lazy in asking for a button that would drop you back to the start of the PE for a week. 

In regards to the Novel Movement, I guess I was thinking that things such as Scap Shrugs (Scap Shrugs! Damn scap shrugs) that many people can take 12months to get through, could possibly have a similar but slightly opposite (kinda of like Harry Potter to Voldemort) movement that can be trained like a deload week. 

All that said the program is excellent and while I know you are unable to perform magic (Unlike Harry Potter and Voldemort) it is magic like! Painful, drawn out, long term dedication type magic. 

Dan 

 

Andrey Kruglykhin
On 9/22/2017 at 3:15 PM, Coach Sommer said:

- Deload weeks were removed in F1 because the VAST majority of F1 students were already inconsistent with their training.  As such they already had plenty of unintentional deloads built into their training.

I can relate to being inconsistent with my training as frequent travel brings deload weeks in just naturally. I think it is wise and practical removing the deload weeks from the programming.

BUT I still have deload weeks on my programming!! Shall I speak to the technical support guys?

Also, I keep asking bringing back that function where in the 6w+ training you can see the modules which one has done in ht week: the coloured 'checked' sign over the picture. This really helps with inconsistent training schedule.

Thanks a lot!!!!!