This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Programming for Foundation, handstand and stretch

Started by Anton Karlsson, September 19, 2017 · 4 Replies · 328 Views

Anton Karlsson

Hello everyone!

I am going to start foundation 1, handstand 1 and 2 (since the preparatory elements can be done simultaneously) and the stretch series. However, I would also like to  include some heavier squats and deadlifts and cardio into this. 

I have a lot of experience with training and can do movements like a slow muscle up on rings. My body is used to rather high training frequency.

My question now is how I should program this and how my training volume should be. Should I train all movements on the foundation program in the same workout or should I split them into different? What should my warm up look like? Should do some extra conditioning in the end of the workout (for example some sort of vertical pulling movement if I have not done any of that in the workout)?

Jon Douglas

Hi Anton, welcome aboard :)

- Ideally you'd start with a split, and add further volume gradually until you hit the best balance of volume and recovery. Have a look at the suggested templates in the interface and keep in mind stuff will get harder quickly :)

- Generally some sort of cardio (jump rope is ideal) begins your warmup,  followed by some range of motion/dynamic stretchin, then into warmup strength sets. Basic positions, rolls etc can also be included here; planks tables hangs etc.

- Having completed your assigned work feel free to do more, but monitor it.You will get your fill of vertical pulling in F2; if the additional volume interferes with your F1 work balance that.

- Best to put squats and deads on lower volume maintenance while building mobility and soft tissue in the sls progressions. If you're up to code, it won't be long before you can go to town on them as you like for your goals :)

 

Anton Karlsson

Thank you for the advice Jon! Really appreciate it. 

I will try to start with a split of some sort then and maybe add in some extra conditioning afterwards if it feels necessarily :) 

And also try to add in the three stretch routines somewhere in there as well.

 

Luke Searra

Anton, add the relevant stretch routines for the powerlifts after the lifts:

Back Squat (middle splits)

Overhead or bench (Thoracic Bridge)

Deadlift (front splits)

 

Ezra Richardson
On 9/19/2017 at 4:11 PM, Anton Karlsson said:

Hello everyone!

I am going to start foundation 1, handstand 1 and 2 (since the preparatory elements can be done simultaneously) and the stretch series. However, I would also like to  include some heavier squats and deadlifts and cardio into this. 

Hi ! @antonkarlsson I am relatively new to the GB programming, coming up on the one year date, but I also began as an experienced athlete. I had spent time squatting especially, I also could execute basic ring elements, I had done years of self-programming, and I was extremely confident. I will tell you right now that the best thing I have ever done for myself, in terms of my training, was to swallow the ego and move backwards. It pays off later to treat it as DAY ONE for yourself. Beginning with their programming, I own F1, H1, T-Spine and Middle Split, I chose to give myself the opportunity to relearn the movements I had strayed from in my prior years of so called "advanced" training. 

The programming requires extreme patience and commitment, and I've already encountered a few points of tension that tested those. Slow and steady wins the race, my friend, that's all I can say. Give yourself the time to experiment, relearn, rediscover and above all stay consistent with yourself long enough to allow change to occur.  

I had no idea how I was going to layout my week of training. I had no idea what to expect. In the past 3/4 of a year I've found my balance between work/recovery and made tremendous progress as well. I've found time for Squats and cardio just like you expressed want for, and although I am not training H2 yet I plan to add this to my regimen soon.  

Best, ER