This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Breakfast protein

Started by Neil Strickland, September 19, 2017 · 5 Replies · 152 Views

Neil Strickland

Ok, I am transitioning from the "bulletproof" world of butter coffee and intermittent fasting. So, for convenience I've started lowering the amount of fat in my coffee and adding 24 grams of collagen protein. Would there be any reason to look for a different protein source, or would this suffice? I don't want to vear off course of thrive and find myself not making changes.

Secondary questions:

also, what about bcaa's as an option? (Either in addition or instead)

Or a whey or egg white based protein bar with low net carbs?

thanks!

Everett Carroll

Hey Neil,

I prefer more complete protein sources for breakfast. My go-to's are typically eggs, Kefir, Sausage, or whey protein powder (I find it easier to dodge the carbs using the powder over bars). I'm not saying the collagen is a bad addition to breakfast but it's surely not as complete a protein source as eggs or yogurt.

Out of curiosity, which brand of collagen are you using?

I typically recommend skipping the BCAA's and going straight for a complete source like those mentioned in the course/above.

Neil Strickland
On 9/19/2017 at 2:52 PM, Everett Carroll said:

Hey Neil,

I prefer more complete protein sources for breakfast. My go-to's are typically eggs, Kefir, Sausage, or whey protein powder (I find it easier to dodge the carbs using the powder over bars). I'm not saying the collagen is a bad addition to breakfast but it's surely not as complete a protein source as eggs or yogurt.

Out of curiosity, which brand of collagen are you using?

I typically recommend skipping the BCAA's and going straight for a complete source like those mentioned in the course/above.

Everett, I went with amandean's pasture raised collagen peptides because it does not react negatively to heat, making it ideal for morning coffee, and like most of the food recommended on thrive its pasture raised.

i'll dig around for a better breakfast protein.

for the bars, is the concern total carbs, or net carbs?

-Neil

 

Everett Carroll

Sounds good, let us know what you come up with for protein.

Great question. I believe the focus is on total carbs. You want to avoid them as much as possible for breakfast and focus on getting healthy fat and protein. 

Neil Strickland
On 9/27/2017 at 3:38 PM, Everett Carroll said:

Sounds good, let us know what you come up with for protein.

Great question. I believe the focus is on total carbs. You want to avoid them as much as possible for breakfast and focus on getting healthy fat and protein. 

I ended up running with a grass fed party- roughly 1/4 pound as I made it my goal to avoid carbs as much as possible, per your suggestion. I also eat this with a tablespoon of grass-fed butter. Would that be enough, or should I look for something more? I am still sipping on butter coffee with Collagen until lunch.

Everett Carroll

Sounds great to me Neil.