This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

pHS/PE1 Form Check

Started by Mark Birbeck, September 18, 2017 · 6 Replies · 114 Views

Mark Birbeck

Hello all.

I wonder if anyone could take a look at this, please (the final set is at 4' 46"):

https://photos.app.goo.gl/RdwNTfCX9mChG8g43

Apologies for the camera position, which means that the plank presses are probably too obscured--I'll try again on Friday for those. But in the meantime, I'd appreciate any comments on the inverted pike pulls. (I was worse with my core workout...that will also have to wait until Friday because I didn't even press 'record'!)

Oh...and apologies for the groans, too...that's to do with my arms, not my legs or back. ;) (The bars are wet making it a bit tricky to grip!)

Thanks in advance.

Everett Carroll

Hey Mark,

These look good. Your range of motion will improve over time. Keep consistent and you'll master these!

Alessandro Mainente

Hey Mark when you are in the bottom position of the PE remember that it is an elevated plank position, this means no arch in the middle and lower back.

Mark Birbeck

Great...much appreciated @Alessandro Mainente and @Everett Carroll. I shall work on both.

Mark Birbeck

I wonder if I can get another form check since I'm on step 9:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/L1ohu61azd1Ce8802

Apologies that it's so long...I don't think there is much to choose between the start and the end, other than I think my IM is a fraction better later on. So feel free to skip to the end to save some time. ;)

I was originally planning to film again without all of the bar wiping and breaks (it was a very cold morning), but then I decided I might as well get some feedback now, and incorporate that into my next pHS session (which will be on Friday). So apologies again for making you suffer such a long recording.

Anyway, thanks again for any feedback.

Alessandro Mainente

Hey Mark, generally you need to insist on the shoulder mobility because you are not reaching the complete range of motion.

The IM part requires time in order to be mastered, I suggest for the long term that hips to feet level it is appropriate to obtain best results for following elements.

Mark Birbeck

Thanks @Alessandro Mainente . That's all fine by me...I'm in no hurry. ;) Improving my shoulder mobility is a bit of a 'project' at the moment, with both TB and the seated shoulder flexions from HS1. So this is great advice.

Actually, whilst I'm here, might I ask a question about the IM? Your advice about getting horizontal is great, and I shall work on that.

But I'm wondering how to space out all the exercises that relate to my hamstrings and thighs through the week?

I tend to do HS2 on a Friday alongside my core routine since they both require going to the local park and using the bars. I then do FS on a Sunday, and LB on a Tuesday.

All of these are in the early hours of the morning, because in the evenings on Monday and Wednesday I do kung fu. In those classes, I have no control over what exercises we do. Sometimes we might do quite deep stretching which can mean that when combined with GST I can spend the whole week with sore legs! (It's particularly my outer thighs that ache after doing pHS/PE1.)

I don't really mind if that's how it has to be. But I wondered whether it was better to 'cluster' these specific exercises or to keep them spread through the week?

For example, I could do HS2+core on Monday morning, and kung fu in the evening, then on Tuesday do LB, and on Wednesday do FS in the morning and kung fu in the evening. In other words, I could group everything hamstring/thigh-related together between Monday and Wednesday, leaving a 4-day gap before starting over again.

(I'm not mentioning MS because that doesn't seem to leave my legs aching in the same way that pHS/PE1 and FS do! At the moment I do that on Saturdays.)

It's not a massive problem, and if the answer is 'experiment', then that's fine. :) I just wondered if there was any principle involved where you might prefer spreading things out or keeping them close together?