This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Form check: elevated bridge

Started by Jennifer Marie, September 18, 2017 · 12 Replies · 209 Views

Jennifer Marie

Good morning, 

I know this isn't the best shot for a form check (the video was worse... I moved even further out of the frame when I moved my feet up higher a few seconds later).  I promise a better view from next week's session. 

In the meantime, I wanted to share this because I was very surprised at my shoulders. I thought they were more open - that my shoulders were over my hands. So, while a bit of shyness in front of the camera keeps me from trying form checks as often as I should, I'm glad I did. What I felt I was doing and what I did were not the same thing!

So yes, shoulders need to open more (love the shoulder extensions and the cat stretches) but what else? 

Knees should be straight, but my hamstrings spasm if I try to keep my legs straight. Thoughts on that? 

IMG_1259.thumb.PNG.2581fcf73007acc0cb1a14d6507ed328.PNG

Everett Carroll

Hey Jennifer,

Your feet may need to be higher but I'd need a clearer video/photo to confirm. 

Jin Liu

Hamstring spasm may also due to feet being too low. Just guessing. Try higher feet next time.

Jennifer Marie

Thanks! I'll get a paparazzi to shoot a video for the next session. :)

Jennifer Marie

I haven't figured out how to upload videos from my phone but here's a better photo in the meantime.

I forgot to try higher feet... does it look necessary in this shot? IMG_1347.thumb.PNG.d6aa618191465f31eeedecbc3f9f156c.PNG

Jeffrey Bittner

Hey Jennifer,

I recommend moving the feet up one or two bars.

Jennifer Marie

I'll give it a go this weekend. Thanks!

Pauline Taube

I'm with the other coaches. Keeping the feet higher will help you straighten those legs ;) 

Jennifer Marie

Hi coaches! I didn't take a pic, but I did try moving my feet up a couple of more rungs this weekend. On the first attempt, one hamstring spasmed, but then I tried again, at the same height, with the band for a little extra support under my hips and was able to get my legs straight for the first time!

What I thought was already a good stretch in the pictures above became an amazing thoracic stretch with the legs straight!

Thanks for the advice, and I promise to share an updated pic soon. :)

Pauline Taube

That’s great to hear, Jennifer! 

Looking forward to see your Thoracic extension improving further :D 

Jennifer Marie

One more with higher feet. Yes, I can see and feel the difference! :)

I'm guessing I needs hands a little closer to the stall bars so I can push my chest through more. Yes?

IMG_1386.thumb.PNG.4a25ea32fda87ac8804cd6d277c6bb2f.PNG 

Alessandro Mainente

You are correct!

Jennifer Marie

Thanks @Alessandro Mainente!