This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Is it possible to include some high intensity workouts

Started by Jacob Lindqvist, September 17, 2017 · 24 Replies · 726 Views

Jacob Lindqvist

I have been missing the feeling of feeling out of breath. Do recommend any type of basic high intensity workouts using your own body weight? What are your thoughts on this? 

I recently watched a gymnast, a very good one, that includes a lot of high intensity and I feel that I should include it as well. I feel that I build strength but at the same time I want to burn some fat.

best regards, Jacob Lindqvist

Antonio Alías Montoya

I feel completely out of breath working the high reps of F1 with no rest  between sets and mobility. And just a minute of rest between different exercises. Are we training the same program? 

If you want to burn more fat, add some cardio.

Felipe Garcia Rosa

Hi Jacob,

I was doing some HIIT before GST, and core days and upper body leave me out of breath similarly. Thats why I havent added Cardio yet :P

are you using follow along videos or just timing sets yourself?

I ve seen those gymnasts also. key is to avoid injuring any joints if you do that

Alessandro Mainente

Hey Jacob, the problem of doing high-intensity workout with your own bodyweight it is that you need a higher level of strength. A general template for this work which is circuit training that it super useful for anatomical adaptation requires 40'' and 20'' rest for 8-9 stations. I do not know how many people who do not have already finished foundation could manage this work only with push up. I'll write for you here what constitutes a typical mine bodyweight circuit.

40'' work and 20'' rest for every station, 3 total rounds, 2 minutes in between rounds

-jumping rope

- wall headstandpushup

-rope climbing

-dip variation (usually normal or swinging dips)

- pullup  variation

-push up variation

-rows variation

-hanging leg lifts

-back extension

NO chances for me in the past to complete this type of work. At the end of F4 you will have a solid basic strength to approach a light version of this work.

Ryan Bailey

For me, Foundation work was high intensity. When training Foundation 1 (7 elements) I definitely had that "out of breath" feel; especially the latter half of the workout (the 30-55 min mark).

Geir Eikelia

I like to do some rounds of skipping,swings and shadow boxing after gst workout. Sometimes I do a more intens warm up and just the gst. Sometimes just the gst.

Rayne-William Fitzgerald

In previous posts, Coach Sommer has stated to complete your Foundation workout first and if you have the extra energy do other training. Training all F7 elements in one workout leaves a lot of people out of breath.

Jacob Lindqvist

I trained crossfit before I started completely with gst, so I guess that I am used to feeling destroyed after a workout.

thanks to everyone for the tips!

i feel tired in my muscles but not like I am out of breath. Maybe I am resting to much in between sets.

 

Geir Eikelia

Im in the same sitaution as you... so when I feel I need some high intesity I just do a finisher.. I found that Circuits With bw makes me to drained so I like to do something like skipping,swing ..running ..       The good feeling of a body that starts to be more flexible and without pain is just amazing. It feels like the high intesity workouts is something I am addicted to..

Léo Aïtoulha

This is my current circuit strength training (no rest between sets of a same circuit):

  • 4 circuits of Core Strength :

- 60s Hollow Body Hold

- 10r Reverse Hyperextension

- 60s Side Body Hold

- 15s Wall Handstand

- 15s Elevated Manna Plank

no rest before repeating from HbH to Elevated Manna Plank

  • 2 circuits of spine ; wrist/forearm/finger & foot/toe Mobility
  • 4 circuits of Bent Arm Strength :

- 10r Pseudo Planche Push-Up

- 10r Pseudo Front Lever Row

60s rest before repeating Pseudo Planche Push-Up

  • 2 circuits of elbow & shoulder Mobility
  • 4 circuits of Leg Strength

- 10r Side to Side Squat

- 5r Glute Ham Raise

- 12r Lunge

no rest before repeating from StS Squat

  • 2 circuits of knee & hip Mobility

Total duration: 2 hours per training. Training on Wednesday & Sunday

 

I can guarantee you that with this training, it is impossible to miss the feeling of being out of breath.

Jon Douglas

GSTin the afternoon, gymnastics classin the evening :) tumbling and swings will keep you panting

Michael Knight

if your muscles feel tired then I'd say the foundation strengh work is enough.

maybe just add a run or bike in after the workout for a little cardio. 

Lucy Criddle

I wouldn't exactly say that I'm the poster child for elite fitness (!!) but I ended up ditching my crossfit metcons because it meant that I wasn't able to maintain GST consistently on a daily basis. Partly it is time - to fit in the F1, stretches and HS courses is a fair commitment, but also I was just too fatigued. Crossfit / Metcon had me doing 150 pushups, situps etc. - losing form etc. which is completely against GST principles. 

I do try to fit in a bit of cardio around it though - skipping or rowing, plus I cycle everywhere.

The real bonus is the progress though - being able to keep the consistency now, I can really see it coming, which reminds me that it's worth the trade-off :-) 

Frank Santasiero

Jacob's original post seemed to suggest he wanted to burn fat. To address this, get strong and eat less. Works every time. Some of the suggestions above may be great for building work capacity or cardio but I have always been of the mindset that to burn fat one does not need extensive cardio, just fewer calories than they burn. The heavy resistance training preserves or even builds muscle as one loses fat. Also, need to be mindful of overtraining if do too much cardio.

Suzanna McGee
On 9/17/2017 at 11:45 PM, Jacob Lindqvist said:

Maybe I am resting to much in between sets.

I don't think "maybe"… probably for sure, because there is no rest between sets. You just go from PE to iM and back to back. Back to back. Try to go with the follow along videos sometimes… 

Michael Vetter
On 9/18/2017 at 2:45 AM, Rayne-William Fitzgerald said:

In previous posts, Coach Sommer has stated to complete your Foundation workout first and if you have the extra energy do other training. Training all F7 elements in one workout leaves a lot of people out of breath.

When/Why do you do F7 instead of the recommended schedule? And how often do people do this?

Étienne Lajeunesse
On 20/09/2017 at 2:39 AM, Jon Douglas said:

GSTin the afternoon, gymnastics classin the evening :) tumbling and swings will keep you panting

It's nice to do tumbling, but, as I remember doing that 2 years ago, we need some practice before making it cardio!  Lots and lots of reps :)

 

16 hours ago, Michael Vetter said:

When/Why do you do F7 instead of the recommended schedule? And how often do people do this?

Michael, I would say to do F7 if you can keep up with it.  It's pretty intense, but a good way if your willing to do it more than once a week. 

Jon Douglas

It doesn't require high level elements, or even all that much volume to develop cardio from swings and tumbling. A little goes a long way :)

As you get stronger it becomes more important to include things like this, to shake off the slow deliberate patterns of max strength training and getting used to expressing power. Even well before this becomes a central focus of training (which is post Foundation level) it should play a part in some way :) even if it's using your GST to improve your sport. In the end there has to be a reason for getting stronger, right? I love the feeling of being over 30 and being able to confidently try more complex and powerful tumblin than I ever imagined doing or jumping into challenges and obstacle courses without thinking twice, and without GST preparation that would be off the table :) the more you use it the more you want to, plus of course the relatively low intensity of skill training in your chosen field will complement strength training (asterisk for excessive volume and str- centric  sports like powerlifting, competitive crossfit etc)

Étienne Lajeunesse

@Jon Douglas,

That's nice to see where all this training's leading!  So, advanced tumbling is an after foundation focus part?  I know where my high intensity will come from ahah

Jon Douglas
2 hours ago, Étienne Lajeunesse said:

@Jon Douglas,

That's nice to see where all this training's leading!  So, advanced tumbling is an after foundation focus part?  I know where my high intensity will come from ahah

Just for total clarity, power and dynamic strength is the focus I referred to; this feeds directly into high level tumbling as the relevant skill training it supports.

When appropriate Movement 2 and 3, and eventually Hungarian, will come to central focus. These are significantly harder on the body and require solid foundation level preparation  (because adults break under hard dynamic loads unless they prepare in specific ways).

High level tumbling is both a result of training and a form of extreme plyometric and power development in itself :)

Naturally the fastest way to improve high level tumbling is to put in volume polishing the basics :)

Jacob Lindqvist
On 2017-09-18 at 2:45 AM, Rayne-William Fitzgerald said:

In previous posts, Coach Sommer has stated to complete your Foundation workout first and if you have the extra energy do other training. Training all F7 elements in one workout leaves a lot of people out of breath.

What is the F7 elements? Have I missed something?

Étienne Lajeunesse
5 hours ago, Jacob Lindqvist said:

What is the F7 elements? Have I missed something?

F7 stands for all 7 elements you find in the foundation series.

Michael Vetter

Namely:

Front Lever

Straddle Planche

Side Lever

Manna

Single Leg Squat

Hollow Back Press

Rope Climb

Jacob Lindqvist
On 2017-09-20 at 7:29 AM, Léo Aïtoulha said:

This is my current circuit strength training (no rest between sets of a same circuit):

  • 4 circuits of Core Strength :

- 60s Hollow Body Hold

- 10r Reverse Hyperextension

- 60s Side Body Hold

- 15s Wall Handstand

- 15s Elevated Manna Plank

no rest before repeating from HbH to Elevated Manna Plank

  • 2 circuits of spine ; wrist/forearm/finger & foot/toe Mobility
  • 4 circuits of Bent Arm Strength :

- 10r Pseudo Planche Push-Up

- 10r Pseudo Front Lever Row

60s rest before repeating Pseudo Planche Push-Up

  • 2 circuits of elbow & shoulder Mobility
  • 4 circuits of Leg Strength

- 10r Side to Side Squat

- 5r Glute Ham Raise

- 12r Lunge

no rest before repeating from StS Squat

  • 2 circuits of knee & hip Mobility

Total duration: 2 hours per training. Training on Wednesday & Sunday

 

I can guarantee you that with this training, it is impossible to miss the feeling of being out of breath.

What type of mobility do you do? And what is elevated manna plank?