This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Tripod

Started by Ananda Aisola, September 15, 2017 · 8 Replies · 256 Views

Ananda Aisola

I can't even do the beginner, Tripod exercise. Don't have the upper body strength to lift off the ground. What should I do?

Mikey Cunanan

Hey @Ananda Aisola,

If the Tripod seems too challenging for you at this point in your training. I recommend removing Handstand One from your weekly training routine until you have built the necessary strength through your Foundation training. It would be a good idea to master some of the beginning Foundation One progression exercises before starting any specific handstand training. This will help give you necessary strength and body awareness to get into the tripod.

Of course, this doesn't mean you can't experiment with the tripod. Here are some key points to focus on when learning to balance on your head.

  • Hands should be placed roughly shoulder-width apart. Then place your head in front of your hands so that they form a triangle.
  • Lift your hips into the air and bring them directly over your shoulders to get them inline with your center of balance.
  • Bend your right knee, bring it towards you and place it on your right elbow. 
  • Brace your core tight and bring your left leg to the top of your left elbow.
  • Hold your tripod and celebrate sweet, sweet victory.

Keep working at it and you will learn this movement soon enough! 

Tobias Karlsson

The advice by Mikey are great. I initially thought that I need much more strength to do some of these exercises. However, I noticed that once you have a balanced position your body will allow you to use all your strength. If you don´t have good balance you will not dare to use all muscle strength and it will be heavy. I think that you with some training and following Mikey´s advice you will be able to get into this position with little effort. 

Alessandro Mainente

The tripod is much more technical than what people think.

The cue is not to try to reach the lower tricep with the knees immediately but try point the feet and walk the feet closer to the hands, this will move the center of gravity over the shoulder. in this way, you will feel the movement much more easier.

Preeda Englerdchaphat

anyone feel neck pain after tripod/headstand?

Leo Trinidad

Hi @Preeda Englerdchaphat,

You shouldn't feel pain. Discomfort is normal but not pain.

Jennifer Marie
On 10/15/2017 at 1:13 AM, Preeda Englerdchaphat said:

anyone feel neck pain after tripod/headstand?

My neck muscles were sore in the tripod during the first handful of sessions. Those  muscles aren't trained often in your run-of-the-mill fitness programs, so they may need a few sessions to start getting stronger. Also a form check to make sure your head/neck are in good alignment couldn't hurt. Once I corrected a curve in my neck when upside-down, I felt stronger in the position and less discomfort in the neck afterwards.

Laurie Donaldson

I, too, was having trouble with the tripod, but I did it this week with no trouble and here's how. I put a chair behind me and used it to just rest the tips of my toes on and then brought my legs/knees in to my elbows. Voila! No trouble! I think the problem I was having was more one of balance than strength because I could get into a headstand against a wall easily. 

 

Luke Searra

Laurie I would love to see a picture of that modification! @Laurie Donaldson