This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Break for Illness

Started by Jeffrey Mailly, September 15, 2017 · 3 Replies · 101 Views

Jeffrey Mailly

Coming back after taking the last 4 days off for illness. Felt like a virus but it was just allergies. Knocked me on my ass. Started meds and feeling better. Looking for some advice on getting back into it. Here's what I missed.

Tues - Middle Split
Weds - Handstand/Lower Body
Thurs - Front Split
Fri - TBD - might be able to squeeze in a workout tonight...

Should I even try to complete the missed workouts or just continue where I left off? I feel pretty good sitting here but getting into the workout might feel differently.

Tobias Karlsson

Generally if I am sick I see it as a rest period and then i start back and don´t compensate for the lost days. Not all to seldom the rest makes progress in the next few workouts faster.

Jin Liu

Listen to your body. 

When I'm knocked out for a few days, I usually go back gradually into my usual workout intensity. Give your body some time to recover and adapt. Depending on how you got sick, your joints may be weakened (viral infection sometimes does that), and you don't necessarily feel it until you stress the joints. 

Everett Carroll

Great advice from Tobias and Jin. Take it easy at first and slowly build back up to the steps you were on before. Rather than worrying about what you missed and "catching up", step back as much as necessary and be kind to your body as you get back into the swing of training.