Bridge

Started by kintelary, March 17, 2010 · 8 Replies · 4,149 Views

kintelary

I did a quick search and did not see any posts realated to this. If I missed it, I had my widom teeth extracted yesterday and I am a bit distrtacted.

Matt Furey teaches bridges in Combat Conditioning as part of his Royal Court of exercises.

In a back bend, put your forehead on the ground and cross your arms on your chest???

Is that part of advanced flexibility in gynmastics conditioning or something you don't use with your students?

Thanks.

Blairbob

In gymnastics in the states there tends to be a disregard for head bridging since many gymnasts are doing this as children. The official documentation actually says no hand bridges before 5 but many gymnasts and children can bridge before that (whether they should is a different question). One of my first gyms didn't allow even headstands, yeah- pretty stupid but they were ultra conservative (they didn't like their boys swinging to HS or doing back drops either).

However, most gymnasts get introduced to headstands around that age.

However, the spine is in decent alignment (in a HeS) at that age versus an extreme arch like a headbridge.

However, I've been doing headbridges since 4 since they are a staple in Judo and most wrestling programs.

kintelary
Blairbob said:
The official documentation actually says no hand bridges before 5 but many gymnasts and children can bridge before that (whether they should is a different question).

That as per structural development and other issues when introduced to moves that don't come naturally seems to make sense. But if kids see it, they try it to the knee jerk response of parents trying to prevent injury.

Blairbob said:
One of my first gyms didn't allow even headstands, yeah- pretty stupid but they were ultra conservative (they didn't like their boys swinging to HS or doing back drops either).

I understand that if they are afraid of lawsuits and making it "safe", but then it could have just been a preference (I don't know).

Blairbob said:
However, most gymnasts get introduced to headstands around that age.

However, the spine is in decent alignment (in a HeS) at that age versus an extreme arch like a headbridge.

However, I've been doing headbridges since 4 since they are a staple in Judo and most wrestling programs.

Okay, that explains where the "conventional wisdom" parts with "martial arts." So, as far as gymnastics go, headbridges are not common in gymnastics, but they are in wrestling/judo? So, for adults would you recommend headbrides as Furey seems to call them essential to athleticism? Not to pit anyone against anyone else, but simply wanting to get various viewpoints from solid sources. :D

Thanks.

Chris Hansen

I admit I'm a little nervous about the touching the nose to the mat thing but I have heard that there's no reason to unless you need the flexibility for wrestling or something

Joshua Naterman

It's not the flexibility that's an issue, it's the strength to maintain the position. If you intend to be in hand to hand combat, you are a big fool to not have a very, very strong neck that is capable of supporting extreme positions, because you WILL end up in them. That's what Furey's essentially saying.

Blairbob

It's been said that having a strong neck is probably what has saved me and my dad a few times in car wrecks.

If you ever plan on some sort of combat, be it sport or otherwise, it's a good idea to be doing these.

Gymnasts probably develop strong enough necks due to headstand work and flipping besides apparatus work. Well males do, not so sure about the girls but anything too crazy can still snap your neck if you land wrong.

If you are in any sport that may involve falling, it's good idea to have a strong neck. It helps in life.

Football, rugby-check. Skiing on water or downhill, check (x-country isn't a sport). Fighting sports, check.

Joshua Naterman

Staying up too late reading posts, check. You need a strong neck for that too! And pizza on a bagel.

Blairbob

I have an odd sleep schedule and keep odd hours sometimes. No pizza on bagels though I loved those as a kid.

Joshua Naterman

I don't eat pizza on bagels really, I just love the commercial! 'Pizza in the mornin', Pizza in the evenin', Pizza at supper tiiiime, when you've got pizza on a bagel you can EAT PIZZA ANYTIME!!!"