This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Developing imbalances

Started by Ricky Butler, September 15, 2017 · 2 Replies · 108 Views

Ricky Butler

Hi all,

After purchasing foundation 1 over a year ago I'm finally really to get stuck into it. When browsing through I've noticed that there are 2 pushing movements (hollow back press and Planche) compared to 1 pulling movement (rope climb). Now I planned to add some handstand training into my program to so that's potentially a 3-1 pushing to pulling ratio. So my question is.... Has anyone had any issues with this? Being a personal trainer for 10 years (and now really had enough of the weights) I always tried to keep this ratio balanced. As Everett pointed out front lever will evenchally include some pulling mechanics but that still provides a 3-2 ratio. Maybe the answer is to simply add some weighted pulling exercises like dumbbell rows etc? 

I know this is just my OCD kicking in and I should probably just get on with it but thought I'd ask. 

Many thanks! 

Alessandro Mainente

Hi Ricky there is the common mistake to consider the balance only in reference of pulling vs pushing and not the plan you are working.

-planche and front lever are balanced as horizontal plan pulling and pushing

-during the development on HBP you work on multiplain pushing while on RC you work on multiplain pulling

-while the rings tend to increase the tendency to close the shoulders, manna and handstand and press to handstand gives an impressive amount of balanced work on opening actively the shoulders.

Ricky Butler

Thanks Alessandro that makes perfect sense. I was considering adding some back lever work to balance the books a little but sounds like there is no need.