This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Isometric middle split on many days

Started by Étienne Lajeunesse, September 14, 2017 · 12 Replies · 235 Views

Étienne Lajeunesse

Hi,

I have some hard times to hold this one and particularly more on one side.  Can we do it more than once a week? Like 2-3 times?

Thanks!

Tanya Hill

Hi Etienne, 

The Isometric middle splits is a tricky one. You can definitely do the stretch course more then once a week as long as your body is recovering well. 

1. Make sure you are squeezing your legs together. 

2. The pressure on your feet is important. Make sure you are putting pressure on the outside of your foot, while squeezing inner thighs together. This will keep you from sliding. 

Send us over a video. 

 

Étienne Lajeunesse

I will send a video review by the end of the week.  I was just considering doing this exercise more than once since I feel I can gain a lot more strength from it.

Thanks :)

Jennifer Marie

I hadn't thought of #2 Tanya. I'll pay attention to where the pressure is in my feet next time. Thanks!

I like to think of trying to pull the carpet under my hips with my feet to get the squeeze.

 

Alessandro Mainente
6 hours ago, Étienne Lajeunesse said:

I will send a video review by the end of the week.  I was just considering doing this exercise more than once since I feel I can gain a lot more strength from it.

Thanks :)

Begin doing the isometric hold 3 times in 2 weeks. this means that in one week you will do it 2 times (like mon, frid) and the following week on wend. then you begin again with 2 times 

When you perform the exercise 2 times in a week:

1- one time it is with the stretch series 

2-one time will be with be in a light session. this means using a reduced range of motion compared to stretch series.

Étienne Lajeunesse

Good idea @Alessandro Mainente,

I will try as you suggest, is there a point where I can increase the days?

Alessandro Mainente

If you are also following foundations and the front split series I would wait for now. After mastering SLS progression you should be able to do safely the isometric hold twice a week.

Lucy Wilkins
On ‎14‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 2:50 PM, Étienne Lajeunesse said:

I will send a video review by the end of the week.  I was just considering doing this exercise more than once since I feel I can gain a lot more strength from it.

Thanks :)

at  the end of this exercise Coach says you can do further reps if you need to

Étienne Lajeunesse
26 minutes ago, Lucy Wilkins said:

at  the end of this exercise Coach says you can do further reps if you need to

Hi Lucy,

True, but I think that it is only for those who are able to do the full split, if I am not wrong.  120 sec is enough for me to really feel the burn! But I was thinking to do it more during the week.

Jin Liu

Just found out that I can do this split everyday at my desk at work. My height in the split is just about the same as the height of my cube walls, so nobody has to see my weirdness (except for maybe my neighbor, but he's cool), LOL! Perfect break from sitting too much, while I can still work at my desk. @Étienne Lajeunesse Have you been doing it more frequently now? How is it going? I'm wondering if there can be any negative effect if we are not always focusing during the split, or simply doing it too much?

Étienne Lajeunesse

Hey @Jin Liu!

Actually, I haven't been doing this one precisely.  However, I have to strengthen my glutes and some exercises - like the glute bridge and others - work pretty well the adductors to stabilize the movements.  So, I can't really answer your question but I still suppose that there could be negative effects if we do it too much.  Same as Alessandro said. :)

 

Jin Liu
34 minutes ago, Étienne Lajeunesse said:

Hey @Jin Liu!

Actually, I haven't been doing this one precisely.  However, I have to strengthen my glutes and some exercises - like the glute bridge and others - work pretty well the adductors to stabilize the movements.  So, I can't really answer your question but I still suppose that there could be negative effects if we do it too much.  Same as Alessandro said. :)

 

Thanks @Étienne Lajeunesse! Just did it, cuz it’s so easy to just stand up and slide the feet out at my desk, lol! Held for 2min while eyes staring at the computer screen. Time went by fast. Didn’t go the deepest I can, since am just trying it out. But I felt it in the glutes. Then some time after that, I felt my left foot shaking when I tiptoed briefly. So I probably do need to be careful and not overdo it. Maybe I should go even less deep, cuz I kinda do want to do it periodically at my desk as a break from sitting. 

Étienne Lajeunesse
39 minutes ago, Jin Liu said:

Maybe I should go even less deep, cuz I kinda do want to do it periodically at my desk as a break from sitting. 

Yeah exactly! Try to scale it down so you won't feel exausted afterward.  And look down this thread what alex told me, I would follow his experience more than what I believe to be good or not ahahah