This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Handbalancing plan

Started by Katherine Labelle Nguyen, September 13, 2017 · 5 Replies · 194 Views

Katherine Labelle Nguyen

What do you think of a plan that include only HS1 and HS2, some stretch (bridges, splits), running and manna progression (to balance press HS)? I ask this because, from the beginning, my main focus as always been handbalancing but I dont want to create muscular imbalances by only doing this... Thats why I was doing foundations. But I dont think I will ever be able to do a planche, front lever, flag, HBP one day (im a girl) so I want to focus my efforts on my handbalancing goals...  If i choose to do that, do I need to add a back exercice to balance all that handstand work?

*I have read somewhere that press HS and manna balance each other and I think that Handstand is kind of a full body contraction movement...

Thx!

Katherine. 

Mikey Cunanan

Hey @Katherine Labelle Nguyen

I definitely see where you would be concerned with not being able to attain the straddle planche, front lever, side lever, or hollow back press. However, we wouldn't be advisable to neglect any part of the foundation training.

Reason being the value of the courses is not in the end goal, but in the progressions that lead to it. In fact, many of these progressions are mapped out to create the muscular balance you are striving for.

Even if you do not ever master these moves, you will most definitely gain so much from the exercises that lead to them. By training all progressions, your handstand and press handstand development will flourish at an accelerated rate.

The body was designed to move in a wide variety of ways. Limiting yourself to only a few movement patterns will undoubtedly hinder your progress with others.

The take home- Don't neglect your foundations :)

Nick Murray

Katherine, Google for "Erika Lemay". She's an aerialist who can planche, front lever, press to handstand and very close to manna.

Petra Dvorak

found this post from Alex Puccio on a front lever: it IS possible for girls!

 

 

Nick Murray

^and she seems to be doing this with a pinch grip, not on rings or a horizontal bar!

Julian Aldag

Hey Katherine!

As I circus boy, I can tell you that Manna and bridge training will be a great balance for the planche, pressing and handbalancing.

If you have foundation programs, they will be an awesome complement to your training. Also with an amazing Straddle splits, Straddle planche will be a piece of cake to you. As far as the other stuff, who knows if you'll end up with a Front lever, HBP etc. But honestly, who gives a shit.  Its a cliche, but its the journey (training, improving strength and flexibility) not the destination (particular skills etc) that you should be focussed on. If you can achieve the skills, Awesome!  If not, you'll be far better along that if you haven't trained for them!

Also as a side note, I'm embarrassed to say that I've seen girls graduate from circus school that can handbalance really well, but still cant press to handstand.  I thought I would mention this because there are many ways to skin a cat, but the best way is overall development.