This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Question about work capacity and high reps

Started by Kristiyan Donchev, September 12, 2017 · 2 Replies · 143 Views

Kristiyan Donchev

Hello GB community :)

I have a question regarding the high density and relatively high reps in the first few PE-s.  

Coach Sommer says that their job is to increase work capacity. All well and good, but there's something I don't understand - work capacity, just like aerobic capacity and overall conditioning decays relatively fast and doesn't "stick" as well, as strength or muscle mass does. One acquires it fast, but also when one stops working on it, it goes away pretty quickly. 

For example - by the time I start working on single bar dips, 3-4 months could have passed since I was working on 5x15 pushups. And if I tried to do them, especially with such little rest, I wouldn't succeed. I am stronger, but I can't do as many pushups. The same could be said about ring rows and probably hollow body.

I guess my question is - what is the purpose of 15 reps and with such little rest between them? 

And a little rant - pushups, ring rows and hollow body are the most hard things so far - if it were not for them I would probably be in F2 or F3. I can do pushups +30kg on my back, strict chinups and dips with ~30kg and I also have a fairly strong midsection through weightlifting and still can't complete these PEs. They are harder than the last PEs in F2 for me. 

Everett Carroll

Hi Kristiyan,

These are great questions. First off, Coach wants to make sure our connective tissue is prepared for the demands of the harder exercises later in the series. The higher reps begin that process. He also wants to make sure beginners know how to work hard and the active recovery paired with the high volume teaches just that. 

You are correct in that the capacity for each exercise won't last. It will, however, over-prepare your body for the next step, ensure your mobility and strength are in balance, helping to prevent injury, and lay the base for even greater strength gains later on. Think of it as building a dam. You're stopping to build and collect energy now so that you can harness and convert it to raw strength later on. 

Kristiyan Donchev

I understand, thank you :)