This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Hollow Rocks - Neck Soreness

Started by Charlie Everhart, September 12, 2017 · 3 Replies · 93 Views

Charlie Everhart

When I do Hollow Rocks my neck will be sore afterwards.  I know I am doing something wrong, because I did Hollow Rocks in Crossfit and never experienced any issues.  Any suggestions to help me course correct?

Jeffrey Bittner

Hi Charlie,

I recommend submitting a form check. Providing us with a visual will help us to give you more accurate feedback.

Léo Aïtoulha

In a Hollow Body Hold & its variations, the neck flexors produce flexion to neutralize the extension caused by gravity & therefore keep your neck in a neutral position. There is nothing wrong with feeling your neck flexor muscles working as long as your overall form is correct & you do not have neck pain.

In a Reverse Body Hold, it is the opposite. The neck extensors produce extension to neutralize the flexion caused by gravity & therefore keep your neck in a neutral position.

Alessandro Mainente

Generally speaking one of the most common error it is to begin the rock with the neck by flexing it to the sternum. Ideally, the neck and as a consequence, the spine should be held in a neutral position.