This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Chris Sommer's recommended workout schedule

Started by Jesse Kim, September 10, 2017 · 6 Replies · 411 Views

Jesse Kim

I've noticed that if you're not sure which days to workout, it allows you set the schedule on a setting called "sommer's recommended schedule" or something like that. Is there a reason why he recommends that schedule? What advantages does that setting have over organizing your workouts yourself?

Sorry if this doesn't make sense.

Étienne Lajeunesse

Hi Jesse,

Coach's recommendation is a beginning schedule, meaning that you can start with it.  You will however need, sooner or later, to change it since your body will improve and get used to this kind of volume, needing more work every week. Also depending on the lifestyle, I like to manage it the way I want so I don't miss anything.

Hope it helps :)

Michael Vetter
16 hours ago, Étienne Lajeunesse said:

Hi Jesse,

Coach's recommendation is a beginning schedule, meaning that you can start with it.  You will however need, sooner or later, to change it since your body will improve and get used to this kind of volume, needing more work every week. Also depending on the lifestyle, I like to manage it the way I want so I don't miss anything.

Hope it helps :)

Oh you should?

 

I started with F1 (+ Stretch series) in January, still using that schedule. I thought the progressions are making sure already that it gets harder.

Étienne Lajeunesse
4 minutes ago, Michael Vetter said:

I started with F1 (+ Stretch series) in January, still using that schedule. I thought the progressions are making sure already that it gets harder.

It will, but, like any of us at some point, you'll reach a plateau where some change will be needed.  Many options are possible, but raising your workout volume will be one thing that will help you to keep improving.

I do every workout 2 times a week (except stretch series) placed on all 7 days of the week.  This way, as I said, I get enough volume and can do them all (since I got about everything).

So, yeah, I think changing it would be a good thing from what's best for you.

Everett Carroll

Hey Michael,

 

I took a look through your workout history and want to congratulate for being so consistent this year. Nice work!

In general, are you feeling recovered from week to week? Do you go into each workout feeling energized and recovered? 

Michael Vetter
2 hours ago, Everett Carroll said:

I took a look through your workout history and want to congratulate for being so consistent this year. Nice work!

Thanks Everett.

I can clearly see that during the time I travelled I had difficulty. I still remember that I realized how hard it is when travelling and that I needed some adjustments. Your videos, were one can see that you train in all kinds of places. And the fact that Pauline also said she travels a lot kept me motivated to still try.

Initially I found that my training is very easy when I have

  • a clearly defined place, which has space, and its easy to use all the things I need
  • have either no people, calm people or people who also train concentrated
  • have the equipment

It took me some time to realize these things that make it easy for me, and then also see that they are limitations.

After a while I thought "better to do a workout than skip a whole workout just because I dont have bands with me".

So I hope in the next travel period I will do a better job!

2 hours ago, Everett Carroll said:

In general, are you feeling recovered from week to week? Do you go into each workout feeling energized and recovered? 

Most of the time yes. Funny enough just a couple of weeks I thought "Even though I could not finish a harder progression I could do the same workout again in a couple of days".

Most the time I feel quite energized and already look forward to working out at the end of the day.

Everett Carroll
17 hours ago, Michael Vetter said:

After a while I thought "better to do a workout than skip a whole workout just because I dont have bands with me".

That's the right attitude to have, Michael. Make it work, even when the circumstances are less than ideal, because some training is better than none. I'd say just keep plugging away at this schedule as it seems to be working for you, Michael. If you feel like you have some extra energy, you can add in an extra upper body or lower body workout to your week but don't feel like you must. 

On 9/10/2017 at 2:31 PM, Jesse Kim said:

Is there a reason why he recommends that schedule? What advantages does that setting have over organizing your workouts yourself?

Coach's schedule is a great way to ensure you fit in the entire beginner level curriculum each week. If a different schedule works better for you, then please use that instead.

We do, however, recommend that all beginners start off by performing each workout only once per week. You can always add more Foundation workouts (upper, lower, and core) and skill workouts (handstand and movement) in later on. It is best to start slow to ensure you don't overtrain and also so you get an idea of your recovery abilities, as those vary from person to person.