This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

pHS PE3 slider press question

Started by Jin Liu, September 9, 2017 · 2 Replies · 86 Views

Jin Liu

So I got inspired by those people who can do a press HS from an L sit, with hands barely elevated from the floor, like at ankle level or something. I know they are light years ahead of me, but I thought I could kinda mimic their L sit press to HS with this slider press. With my toes on the ground, and hands on parellets, thought I could at least do 1 smooth rep? And no. I even pulled out the thickest band I can find to help pull my hips up. Below is a video of my attempt. Am I trying to do something that's way beyond my current abilities, and also beyond the purpose of this PE? Or am I just weak?

 

Jeffrey Bittner

Hey Jin,

This one is a tough one. It takes some practice to get right, but it looks like you're on your way. The early H2 progressions will help you to build the shoulder strength needed to do this exercise correctly. The trick to doing pressing skills (at least straddle and pike presses) is to curl your spine into a handstand, or half-press position in this case. I like to think of it as a "Jefferson curl" type movement. As you do this, the natural tendency is to let the head stick out. Really fight to keep a neutral head position with the ears covered. If you cannot keep the ears covered, you are leaning forward too much and the shoulders are no longer on top of the hands.

Jin Liu

Thanks Jeffrey! I've got a looong way to go :)