This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Over doing Inverted Pike Pulls

Started by Stephen Mcgoldrick, September 8, 2017 · 8 Replies · 198 Views

Stephen Mcgoldrick

Hi I'm doing Handstands 3 times a week and was just wandering if i should be doing the inverted pike pull 3 times a week? didn't know if that may be over doing it for that stretch? Thanks for any help in advance

Alessandro Mainente

Hi Stephen your body will tell you very soon if the frequency it is too much because you will lose the amount of range of motion in the inverted pike.

Stephen Mcgoldrick

Thanks Alessandro i may just bring it down to once a week but do the Plank Press still?

Everett Carroll

I suggest omitting both, so train each only once per week rather than three. The extra recovery will be beneficial for you. 

Leigh Kettle

This is interesting steve and glad you asked this question 

i was always under the impression that when I do "handstand" session I do all of the elements / thus I was performing every element of the handstand 3 times a week. - no where have I read or been told that this shouldn't be done...

i always thought "handstand" should be treated as for example "core" is so I would complete all elements of that section every time I trained it which as I say at one stage was 3 times a week 

to clarify should I only do some parts of handstand once a week - if so which parts exactly as I always thought the mobility parts of the pe's should be trained more often 

may I also add that I train hs1 and 2 in the same session described  above .this would mean that when I did hs 3 times a week I would do 

wrist warm up 

wrist strengthening pes

headstand and paired mobility

plank press and paired mobility 

- all in one session 3 times a week 

Many thanks 

Everett Carroll

Thanks for this feedback, Leigh. 

Leigh Kettle

Heh Everett

i do apologise  if I have not made my post clear but I was asking if my current  method is incorrect ? 

 

Everett Carroll

Hey Leigh,

Yes you're spot on. When you train your HS workout, train all of its components. Since you have been at GST for abut a year, your body may be able to handle that workout more than once per week. But, like Alessandro said, that depends on individual recovery abilities, training level, etc. If what you're doing now (the whole HS workout 3x/week) is working for you, then keep it up. 

Leigh Kettle

Ok thanks Everett . Whenever I do The pike pulls i always tend to feel the soreness in my hamstrings  straightaway whichever day of the week I do them (probably been caused previously by  my front split,  middle split work etc ) so it may be a case that this one needs reducing a little 

thanks again 

leigh