This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Mobility - Twisting Squats

Started by Brian Tait, September 7, 2017 · 5 Replies · 235 Views

Brian Tait

Hi 

I have reached the Cossack Squat and Twisting Squat in the Single Leg Squat progression.  I can perform the sets and reps of Cossack Squats with no difficulty and have gone on and can perform the Side To Side Squat and Inside Squat without difficulty also.  I just managed 4 sets of 2 reps Speed Skater Squat and the 4 sets of 5 reps Natural Leg Extension.  My problem is that I still cannot perform a single repetition of the Twisting Squat and I find this most frustrating.  I get into the starting position and just can't initiate the movement, I'm stuck sitting on the floor.  

Does anyone have any advice on how to get me moving.  I was going to post a video but I'm not sure a video of me sitting cross legged will reveal the issue.  I can post one if anyone thinks it would help.

Thanks for any advice.

Brian in Scotland

Jeffrey Bittner

Hey Brian,

It might be too hard to start from the floor at first. Try starting from an elevated surface like a chair or stool. As you improve, decrease the elevation of your starting point until you are able to start from the ground.

Rayne-William Fitzgerald

From a sitting position... Be certain you stand up on the outside edges of your feet.

Tanya Hill

Send us a video review Brian. The online coaching is here for you. :)

Kai Ewert

I second the recommendation of making sure you are on the outside of your feet. This may feel weird/uncomfortable/dangerous at first, but you can use assistance (grab e.g. a ring with a hand) and/or a soft surface to start. 

I used to need a bit of forward rocking momentum to start these, likely due to tightness in the hip (pigeon/piriformis stretch is your friend). 

I also like the idea of starting them e.g. from a firm cushion to begin with, though I haven't tried that before.

If the rotating movement is confusing in the beginning, you can also do them straight up as a progression

 

Tobias Karlsson

Hey,

 

How is it going for you? Any luck getting them to feel comfortable?