This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Shoulder tap help

Started by Dave Scharbach, September 7, 2017 · 3 Replies · 94 Views

Dave Scharbach

Hello all, 

I have been working on the thoracic bridge series for a couple months now. I'm able to do an elevated bridge with feet up on a ledge or couch- not very high. I am still not close to being able to support myself on one arm for the shoulder taps. I'm wondering how others may be progressing here, and if perhaps I am potentially impeding my progress in some way. 

 

Thanks! 

Jeffrey Bittner

Hi Dave,

It is completely normal to have some trouble with this exercise. Patience and consistency are the key words. You might need to elevate your feet more in order to feel more comfortable with this exercise. I also recommend submitting a video of both your elevated bridge and your taps for video review. Providing us with a visual will help us to give you more precise feedback.

Jennifer Marie

I'm not up to the shoulder taps in bridge yet, but shoulder taps in handstands should translate.

When I was learning those, I started with just lifting the hand and putting it back down with control. An inch or so at most. This will let you feel out how to shift your weight to your supporting arm and back  to two hands again. As you get stronger and gain confidence, try  tapping your head (or for the handstand I tapped opposite elbow) so you practice some higher hand movement until your ready for the shoulder. Or the hip. Work your way up in little increments.

Alessandro Mainente

Hey Dave the ability to perform at least a weight shift depends on the bridge form, you can use the lower pole of the stall bar but if the arms are not enough near the ears there is no possibility to perform the bridge taps.