This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Another elevated bridge form check

Started by Kevin Chaussee, September 6, 2017 · 7 Replies · 103 Views

Kevin Chaussee

Inspired by everyone on this forum, I am submitting a form check on the elevated bridge. I plan to submit frequent form checks in F, H, M and S series as I am realizing there is a very supportive team of coaches willing to help me become a better athlete.... even at age 48!  This movement causes significant pain in my upper thoracic... Do I need better shoulder flexion prior to proceeding?

 

Mikey Cunanan

Hey @Kevin Chaussee

The members on this forum most definitely are inspiring. GB hopes you continue to draw motivation from your fellow GB students.

For your elevated thoracic bridge, the reason you may be feeling discomfort is because your legs are not elevated high enough for your current range of motion.

I recommend you elevate your feet on a higher surface to allow you to open the chest more. Some students may need to enter the bridge from a wall handstand ( back against the wall). Kick up and allow your upper back to stretch away from the wall as you walk your legs into a bridge.

This should alleviate the discomfort.

 

Alessandro Mainente

Hey Kevin, for your particular situation I suggest you a daily work on the elevated cat and reverse cat.

Jeffrey Mailly
2 hours ago, Alessandro Mainente said:

Hey Kevin, for your particular situation I suggest you a daily work on the elevated cat and reverse cat.

I got this same recommendation. Did the cat stretches for 4-6 weeks before trying another elevated bridge. I definitely improved my shoulder mobility. I have a long way to go. My advice is to listen to the recommendations from the coaches. Check ego at the door. I had a hard swallowing my pride. This program will humble you. But give it all you got whatever level you are on.

Kevin Chaussee

Thanks @Jeffrey Mailly!  It was actually your form check video that made me rethink my fitness goals.  I have had some thoracic pain quite chronically and tried to work through it by forcing things with various other programming.  After witnessing you progress and dedication, I am a firm believer that GB is not only the best program available, but it is also the safest program. 

Thank you @Alessandro Mainente.  I will do that.  For the cat stretches, should I do it several times daily for 30 seconds or is there a different recommendation?  I appreciate you vast experience and knowledge!

Awesome advice @Mikey Cunanan.  I'm looking forward to a pain free elevated bridge.  I will post a follow up video in 2 weeks to verify that I am taking the awesome coaching seriously!

 

Jeffrey Mailly

@Kevin Chaussee I'm humbled and honored to be an inspiration. I'm still mostly on PE1 for most of the Foundation stuff but every bit closer I get is reward enough. You are right, GB is the best program and it's been a relief for me not to waste time researching other options - just stick with GB for a few years and reap all the rewards. You might try some foam rolling on your Thoracic Spine as well as the Cat Stretches. I found that works wonders for someone like me with postural kyphosis. Good luck with your TB stretch training. Look forward to following your progress.

Alessandro Mainente
2 hours ago, Kevin Chaussee said:

Thanks @Jeffrey Mailly!  It was actually your form check video that made me rethink my fitness goals.  I have had some thoracic pain quite chronically and tried to work through it by forcing things with various other programming.  After witnessing you progress and dedication, I am a firm believer that GB is not only the best program available, but it is also the safest program. 

Thank you @Alessandro Mainente.  I will do that.  For the cat stretches, should I do it several times daily for 30 seconds or is there a different recommendation?  I appreciate you vast experience and knowledge!

Awesome advice @Mikey Cunanan.  I'm looking forward to a pain free elevated bridge.  I will post a follow up video in 2 weeks to verify that I am taking the awesome coaching seriously!

 

I would begin with 2-3 times a week. I tend to use the one arm variation for the cat stretch. 

the cat stretches it is by far the most intelligent variation especially if you use one arm at a time with the other one that it is used to manage the intensity and as a support on the floor.

I still suggest a decent warm up before the cat exercise.

Petri Widsten
6 minutes ago, Alessandro Mainente said:

I would begin with 2-3 times a week. I tend to use the one arm variation for the cat stretch. 

the cat stretches it is by far the most intelligent variation especially if you use one arm at a time with the other one that it is used to manage the intensity and as a support on the floor.

I still suggest a decent warm up before the cat exercise.

Cats know what they're doing when it comes to stretching! They tend to stick to the basic version though.