This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Form check: headstand

Started by Jennifer Marie, September 6, 2017 · 3 Replies · 120 Views

Jennifer Marie

Trying my first form check (I'm shy in front of a camera) because my husband expressed concern over the angle of my neck during my tripod practice. I don't feel any discomfort but the supporting muscles certainly were weak when I tried my first one! 

IMG_1182.thumb.JPG.5cd793c20ebe9ddf07df4ce8c5cbc107.JPG

IMG_1183.thumb.JPG.365c0cf366b8bed696a0a8a06cafdbd2.JPGIMG_1188.thumb.JPG.a103ea871bca1e449e62a0e8bbacf1f9.JPG

Leo Trinidad

Hi @Jennifer Marie,

Looking good on the attempt. It'll get stronger as you progress with foundations too. It is good that you aren't feeling any discomfort at the neck. A couple of points to consider:
1) squeeze your elbows more. (avoid your elbows to flare out)

2) protract your upper back

3) keep your core tight and engaged

Next time you can post a video :)


 

Jin Liu

I'm also camera shy, but ever since I started to record myself doing exercises I improved SO MUCH! Now I have my own garage gym, and found a tripod from the old days, I videotape the crap out it. Besides form checking, I also love seeing the progress I make over time, which keeps me motivated. Try it more. :) 

Jennifer Marie

Thanks Leo!

Not much surprise, but good to hear that you spotted what I suspected. I saw the elbows as soon as I posted the picture, so I think I managed to correct that during last night's sets. I hadn't guessed the back protraction, but I do know that I retract to engage for my weightlifting, so it's not a surprise it's a default spot for me. I'll keep working on protracting while inverted. 

Core, core, core. I know that is what I need to work on with every movement. I've noticed the benefits of Foundations in this area for sure. I can't imagine doing a headstand if I hadn't had a head start on core work with Foundations before starting HS1! I just love how everything builds and overlaps for all the progressions.

Thanks again Leo. I promise to be brave and try a video next time.