This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Mobility advice

Started by Nick Cmero, September 6, 2017 · 7 Replies · 175 Views

Nick Cmero

Hey,

I'm new to the Gymnasticbodies world but I'm loving it so far. I'm 27 and I've been playing sports and exercising a majority of my life. However, it wasn't until I started doing the gymnastics training that I realized my awful mobility. This is especially present in my posterior chain and hips. I'm unable to keep my back straight even to be perpendicular with the floor when attempting pancakes (even if I use a block to elevate my butt). Is there any advice on a better progession I should follow to improve this? Should I focus on bent leg pancakes or pikes? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Mikey Cunanan

Hey Nick! 

It is common for GST beginners to have trouble in the pancake and pike positions. To remedy this problem, simply elevate your hips on a higher surface, such as a stool or a chair, until you are able to flatten your back. 

Over time you will be able to gradually lower your hips while keeping your spine straight.

Flexibility training takes time, so stay consistent with your training. Results will be a natural part of the process.

 

 

Nick Cmero

Thank you for the quick response! I'll do that! Does it make sense to hold a light weight or anything while doing this to help lean into the stretch? 

Everett Carroll

Hey Nick,

Weighted mobility is a great tool as long as the intensity is kept to a moderate level. Our Foundation Series has a wealth of weighted mobility drills that you'll enjoy. Definitely, check that course out, as well as our Stretch Courses. 

Nick Cmero

Thanks Everett! That's actually part of what made me realize my extremely poor mobility. I have been following the foundation series and decided to add in the middle split series. However, I was unable to do some of the split exercises because I can't currently do a proper pancake stretch.

Everett Carroll

Hey Nick,

What is preventing you from performing a proper pancake?

Nick Cmero

Everett, 

I believe it is posterior chain and hamstring tightness.  I'm unable to keep a flat back when I'm a straddle position with my hips on the floor. My lower back arches even for me to get my upper body perpendicular to the floor. 

Everett Carroll
8 minutes ago, Nick Cmero said:

Everett, 

I believe it is posterior chain and hamstring tightness.  I'm unable to keep a flat back when I'm a straddle position with my hips on the floor. My lower back arches even for me to get my upper body perpendicular to the floor. 

Sit on multiple blocks if necessary and submit a form check video to the middle split course forum.