This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

sPL/PE5, lean required for sPL/SE1 iM

Started by Petri Widsten, September 5, 2017 · 5 Replies · 75 Views

Petri Widsten

@Mark Schoenhardyou said on F2 forum "Made it to SE1 and realized I hadn't mastered PE5-7 with enough lean so went back" re SE1 iM. How much lean do you think you'll need - I suspect hands at hips may not be enough?

To avoid getting stuck on that iM I've gone back to PE5 to lean as far as I'm able for at least 5 x15 s (even if I lose some protraction in the end). Would this degree of lean be enough:

Coaches' e.g. @Alessandro Mainente@Jeffrey Bittner opinion on this would also be welcome.

I know HBP/PE3 will be another prerequisite where hands at ribs may not suffice but hands at waist might? I'll revisit that one as well.

Not looking forward to getting stuck on that iM like so many before me!

Mark Schoenhard

@Mark Schoenhardyou said on F2 forum "Made it to SE1 and realized I hadn't mastered PE5-7 with enough lean so went back" re SE1 iM. How much lean do you think you'll need - I suspect hands at hips may not be enough?

I suspect hands at hips may not be enough as well. That being said, I have never done any sort of a planche with feet off the ground so I am not certain. I had a forum coach tell me that any extra lean on these PE's is going to help. Nice work Petri.

Jeffrey Bittner

Hey Petri,

It looks solid. Like mark said, every little bit of extra lean that you can get will be beneficial in the long run. Moving forward, you might consider including these as part of your warm up.

Petri Widsten

Thanks @Mark Schoenhardand @Jeffrey Bittner Jeffrey, I'm sure that more is always better but what would be the minimum degree of lean required for that iM (e.g. hands at X cm below hips, or just at hips)? Do you think what I show in the video is enough? Or is PE5 important for that bent arm iM (I know it's vital for future straight arm progressions) only as far as it helps one perform HBP/PE3 better (say, chest to floor with hands at hips for 5x3 or more) and HBP/PE3 is the main exercise to optimise before going for the iM? What was your personal experience?

 

 

Everett Carroll

Hey Petri,

Both are equally important. 

For sPL/PE5, I suggest aiming to lean until the middle of your hand is directly under your hips.

For HBP/PE3, get the middle of your hand at least under your bottom rib. 

Mastery at those depths of lean should provide plenty of transfer to the specific sPL>iMs in F2. 

Petri Widsten

Hi Everett

Thanks, that's excellent info! I won't proceed until I can comfortably hit those benchmarks then.