I just started doing Russian Dips. I figured I would struggle with these so I recorded my sets. Please offer any tips and form improvement please. Thank you in advance.
This forum is archived information and is no longer active.
Started by Chris Banul, September 4, 2017 · 18 Replies · 343 Views
I just started doing Russian Dips. I figured I would struggle with these so I recorded my sets. Please offer any tips and form improvement please. Thank you in advance.
Hi @Chris Banul,
Not bad for first attempt. My advice is to go lower in your dip first before transitioning. From experience, going to my max range of motion in the dip makes the russian dip a lot easier. Also try to put more tension in your core and legs. Keep your legs straight.
Thanks !!! These bars are low to the ground so I have to bend my legs as I lower. However I have access to a set at my gym that will enable me to keep my legs straight. Thanks for the help !!!
Hey @Chris Banul
I also have a great tip for you in addition to @Leo Trinidad's advice ![]()
As you lower down to the inside of your arms make sure that your shoulders stay deperessed away from your ears. This should make the transition back up less jerky. The goal is a smooth transition phase.
Hey Chris a side view of the execution could be very helpful in order to check the shoulders position in regards to the elbows.
the previous corrections have helped a lot. I'll try to get a side view for further analysis. It's been getting dark here sooner (I do these in the morning) so I'll try to get some decent video. Thanks again.
Here's a video from the side. Thanks for any help.
Your shoulders seem to be a bit forward of the elbows, in at least two of the reps. You want them in line with the elbows, as illustrated by @Alessandro Mainente's famous stick figure drawings here:
I think you are also not supporting yourself enough - letting your body sink after your upper arms have contacted the bar.
Cool!!! Very good tips, thanks guys.
The hardest thing about Russian dips for me was figuring out what to DO in the bottom position: at first I wasn't strong enough to push up, and also couldn't or didn't lean forward so I could push off. You look as if you have this part sorted out. I found the deeper the upper arm support (closer the shoulders to the bar), the more I had to lean forward and the more "violent" the initial push off.
The secret is to lock the bottom position with the correct upper arm position, if the shoulders are too low there are no chances to lift from there.
Just wanna say thanks guys, I’m learning a lot from your tips. Started on these this week, attempted twice, and it ain’t pretty. Gonna be a learning curve for me. Thought the ring muscle up transition may translate to the transition on p bars. But apparently there’s something I’m not getting..
One clarification I’d like to get: When you lower down to the dip, are you supposed to go into a deep dip first, then kinda lean back into an upper arm support, then lean forward to get out of it? Or should you drop straight down into the upper arm support, then come straight back up? How much distance should your shoulders cover horizontally in the transition? In other words, how much are you supposed to lean back then lean forward?
Generally speaking:
1. From the bottom position of a dip to the upper arm support... you need to push your hands forward in a manner similar to a tricep extension.
2. From the upper arm support to the bottom position of a dip... you need to pull your hands back in a manner similar to bicep curl.
As previously stated through out the forum, scapula retraction / protraction shrugs are helpful.
6 hours ago, Jin Liu said:JOne clarification I’d like to get: When you lower down to the dip, are you supposed to go into a deep dip first, then kinda lean back into an upper arm support, then lean forward to get out of it?
This is my understanding of correct form. The lean back to support should be controlled, though. In my case I MUST control the support or I'll undo all the surgeon's good work.
I have to use a slight kip to get out of the bottom position. My strategy to remove the kip is to use my legs for slight assistance on the ground until I develop the arm strength to do it unassisted. Does anybody else have any suggestions to break over this hump.....I figured a person would have to get this down cold in order to even try the next level
On 10/18/2017 at 9:58 AM, Chris Banul said:I have to use a slight kip to get out of the bottom position. My strategy to remove the kip is to use my legs for slight assistance on the ground until I develop the arm strength to do it unassisted. Does anybody else have any suggestions to break over this hump.....I figured a person would have to get this down cold in order to even try the next level
Chris,
If you are experiencing trouble pushing out of the bottom position then the issue is a lack of sufficient strength in shoulder extension.
Luckily for you, the previously mastered progressions are awesome for building strength for the Russian L Dip. ![]()
*hint, hint*
I would recommend building some strength up with your previously mastered dip progressions.
For example, go down to parallel bar dips for a few weeks and work on going deeper into shoulder extension at the bottom.
when you come back to these, it’ll be significantly easier.
@Chris BanulPeople have used an elastic band for assistance when first learning this movement. Probably a more consistent and more scaleable approach than using one's legs on the ground
On 10/27/2017 at 7:58 AM, Mikey Cunanan said:Chris,
If you are experiencing trouble pushing out of the bottom position then the issue is a lack of sufficient strength in shoulder extension.
Luckily for you, the previously mastered progressions are awesome for building strength for the Russian L Dip.
*hint, hint*
I would recommend building some strength up with your previously mastered dip progressions.
For example, go down to parallel bar dips for a few weeks and work on going deeper into shoulder extension at the bottom.
when you come back to these, it’ll be significantly easier.
Thanks for the advice. I actually started back at planche push-ups this past week to practice better form and build up strength as suggested by going through the HBP progressions. I figured it would help. Thanks so much.