This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

I'm not improving enough hip rotation ad extension with the stretch series

Started by Alessandro Ganzini, September 2, 2017 · 7 Replies · 228 Views

Alessandro Ganzini

After many months of forced stop from my trainings I'm constantly doing the three stretch series from 6 weeks with great general improvements. I'll to continue for many months and possibly forever.

Anyway, I haven't noticed any improvement in hip rotation and maybe only a really slight improvement in hip extension.

I know, maybe it's too early, but I'm really really bad in both external and internal hip rotation (swivel hips are closed to impossible for me, I'm so tight that I can't  even feal the stretch in that movement. In the piriformis stretch I feal more knee stress than the stretch in the right area) and hip extension (my quads and psoas are also extremly tough).

This was the reason why I suffered from a recurrent groin pain in the past three years, now I'm fine but I want to prevent it even when I will regain a lot of strength thanks to my olympic weightlifting trainings.

I think that the stretch series are not focusing enough on these crucial aspects for me and that I definetly need a specific work on it.

What do you suggest me to do? Do I have to create a specific routine for hip rotation and extension? Do you suggest me something more easy to do on a daily basis or a more hard approach to do just once a week like  a forth stretch serie?

I recently added a daily 2' vertical lunge bent and a 2' seated crossed leg strech bending foreward for each side. Is it a good idea? 

Thank you

Alessandro Mainente

Hi Alessandro, can you post your form of swivel hips so that I can understand your general level of internal rotation?

Alessandro Ganzini

Thank you Alessandro! Here you can see my swivel hips:

The right hip is more rigid.

Jeffrey Mailly

It looks like your feet are pulled in too close to your glutes. I made this same mistake when I first started as well. I would highly advise you to watch the Mobility Scaling video for that movement. Doing that helped me find the correct position and I think it will help you too.

Alessandro Mainente

The only one real solution you have now it is to reach the lowest position with one knee then gently try to push down the knee a bit more with the opposite hand (so left knee working with right hand)

Alessandro Ganzini

Thank you guys!

What about the other questions that I've already asked you in my first post?

Everett Carroll
On 9/2/2017 at 10:19 AM, Alessandro Ganzini said:

Do you suggest me something more easy to do on a daily basis or a more hard approach to do just once a week like  a forth stretch serie?

Do 1-3 60-second sets of these daily. 

On 9/2/2017 at 10:19 AM, Alessandro Ganzini said:

I recently added a daily 2' vertical lunge bent and a 2' seated crossed leg strech bending foreward for each side. Is it a good idea? 

 

Sounds great!

Alessandro Ganzini

Thank you Everett. You where really helpful