Managing fatigue and planning the weekly schedule

Started by Ido Portal, March 16, 2010 · 3 Replies · 3,725 Views

Ido Portal

A lot of people here are at lost when aproaching the planning of their next microcycle, even the ones who have some experience of traditional weightlifting periodization, due to the nature of Gymnastic Strength Training™ - you always hit most of the musculature of the upper body. Every day. In almost every movement. Because of this, planning according to traidional bodybuilding influenced 'splits' will produce poor results.

One solution I have written about here in the past is the 'bent arm' / 'straight arm' oriented days, with a lower body coming next in the schedule. This can be repeated twice weekly for 6 total sessions, or in other combinations. I have also written of other approaches - speed oriented days, shock weeks, etc...

Another aproach to the arrangement of the weekly schedule is overviewed by one of the greatest minds in the field of strength training - Coach Pierre Roy. The whole objective is to avoid fatigue, and though produce more quality sessions, more often.

Read and reflect:

http://www.charlespoliquin.com/Articles ... spx?ID=258

Hope you find this useful,

Ido.

JL

I agree with this kind of structuring, if I am interpreting things properly. I believe one of the most important things is to never underestimate, or skip, your light days. It may not feel like you are doing anything worthwhile, but you might be robbing yourself of a critical part of the chain. For my plan, I'm better off skipping the most intense day (4 RM) than any other. I have yet to explore twice a day training, which I know Poliquin highly recommends. I also haven't hit a plateau on my program, which is amazing, really, since, I was plateaued before I started it (which was the reason I designed it). Essentially, it is a DUP program, 3x a week. I'm a believer in DUP. I think it is a very forgiving format, in general. It is easier on your body (because of less intense days), and you don't feel as stale when progressing through it.

Twice a day is interesting me, though. I may give it a go for leg training.

Marcelo Lara

Just what I was thinking. Nice :)

Neal Winkler

I know i have to be really careful with my workload. I have a very poor genetic work capacity and do 1-2 days per week of BJJ.

My current schedule is 3 whole body days per week.

Week 1/Day 1 is 3x5 for one leg, push, pull, core with an integrated set of FSE (half max hold). Day 2 is the same but different exercises for 2 sets across and the leg exercise is explosive instead of strength. Day 3 the same sets/reps as day 1 with different exercises.

Week 2 is the same as week 1 except I do 8-12 reps to give the nervous system a break.

Week 3 is now 4x5 across.

Week 4 is 1x5 across.

So, I have heavy, medium, very heavy, light rotation.