This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Headstand questions

Started by Lucy Wilkins, September 1, 2017 · 4 Replies · 147 Views

Lucy Wilkins

dear forum people

I have today done a headstand for the first time, so feeling very proud, haha. ( ive been hampered for a long time by weak and painful wrists).

 

Anyway a couple of questions.

1. I easily did the 12 seconds with no support ( ie away from the wall), however I did use the wall to find balance as I came up into the headstand, can I still count that as 'easy nd move to the next progression'? My feet weren't touching the wall at all for the timed HS but I did use the wall to help me find the balance in the beginning. can I only progress once I can kick up away from the wall.

2.My hands were somewhat nearer to my head than the guy in the video/photo, does that matter at this stage?

 

 Incidentally I found in the first one I was wobbling about quite a lot but if I push really hard into the floor with my hands I became more stable- is that a common experience? deep breaths helped as well.

 

 thanks ahead

lucy

 

Everett Carroll
16 minutes ago, Lucy Wilkins said:

can I still count that as 'easy nd move to the next progression'?

Go ahead and advance to the next step :) The wall is a fine tool to get comfortable with the position. Just keep in mind that you want to stop using it for assistance as soon as possible.

17 minutes ago, Lucy Wilkins said:

My hands were somewhat nearer to my head than the guy in the video/photo, does that matter at this stage?

Yes. Please send in a video of your form so we can help you achieve the proper position.

18 minutes ago, Lucy Wilkins said:

Incidentally I found in the first one I was wobbling about quite a lot but if I push really hard into the floor with my hands I became more stable- is that a common experience? deep breaths helped as well.

Great work. NOT putting enough weight into the hands is a common issue.  

Jennifer Marie
On 9/1/2017 at 2:40 PM, Everett Carroll said:

Go ahead and advance to the next step :) The wall is a fine tool to get comfortable with the position. Just keep in mind that you want to stop using it for assistance as soon as possible.

 

Along the same vein, should we strive to move straight into the headstand? Currently I do tripod and then rise into headstand. Would mastery require not setting up in tripod first?

Everett Carroll
20 hours ago, Jennifer Marie said:

Along the same vein, should we strive to move straight into the headstand? Currently I do tripod and then rise into headstand. Would mastery require not setting up in tripod first?

Either way works. It doesn't matter how you get into it, as long as you are in the headstand for the prescribed amount of time.

Jennifer Marie

Perfect! Thanks Everett!