This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

HBP PE2 Form Check

Started by Andrew Rupp, September 1, 2017 · 2 Replies · 66 Views

Andrew Rupp

This is my last set at 4x15. I want to check that I'm on the right track after making some changes following a previous check. Better on the mobility? Better protraction?

 

This was my previous attempt at a mastery form check. The feedback I received was: 

Hi Andrew,

Thank you for sending us another video. It looks like you are doing a pretty good job.

Before moving on, I recommend making some small adjustments. On your push ups, work on hitting strong protraction at the top of each rep. You are also picking up some pike in the hips which becomes more severe as you get tired. Engage your gluts to help maintain PPT. At the bottom of your push up, make sure that your knees, hips and chest touch the ground in that order, respectively.

On your iM try to slow down your reps. You are swinging the weight slightly which takes away from the connective tissue strength required to do this movement. Going slower will better prepare your shoulders for more advance hollow back press progression. Focus less on the twist in the torso and more on the rotation of the shoulder joint from shoulder flexion to shoulder extension. Here is a link to a page on the GB Forum in which one of our coaches, Jon Douglas, gives a great explanation of how to properly perform this exercise: https://www.gymnasticbodies.com/forum/topic/27427-xiaopengs/?page=2. Also, remember to keep your core engaged to keep the ribs from flaring out.

 

Everett Carroll

Excellent improvement, Andrew.

During your pushups, press your hips towards the floor a little more (engaging your glutes) and protract even more at the top of each rep. 

During the iM, you did a good job of rotating the weight at the top before beginning the lowering portion. Work on keeping your ribs down, core tight, and elbow locked. Also, on some reps, the weight drifted out of line with your shoulder. Keep the dumbbell in line with your shoulder the entire time. 

Andrew Rupp

Thanks Everett. There was a bit of hip flexion/pike that started to creep in on that last set. As for the protraction, I feel that I'm attempting to maximally protract on each rep, so that is probably something I need to continue to improve with the scap shrugs. I also feel that sometimes I end up just rounding my thoracic spine when trying to protract more, but that just loses the PPT and straight body line.

Thanks for the feedback.