Question about "green drink"

Started by Adriano Katkic, March 16, 2010 · 6 Replies · 3,463 Views

Adriano Katkic

Started to drink fruit and vegetable smoothies lately and been wondering if they can be used as post workout meal or during the workout. What combination would be useful but tasty also? What about aminos? Seems that raweaters advocate that one can get whole bunch of aminos from smoothies like that, but I don't trust that lot too much. Any experiences? Pros and cons?

dlsso

Most vegetables have very little protein, so it's probably not relevant to your workout unless you're looking for some sort of upper from vitamins. Beans and peas have a little and that's about it.

Ido Portal

Actualy recently the use of 'green drinks' (but not smoothies) as an addition to other PWO means has been shown to produce some promising results.

The idea is to reverse the acidifying effects of post workout cortisol secretion and alkaline the body.

Ido.

iyaites

You can use whatever green vegetable you want, just mix it with some fruit so its not too bitter.

I like to add hempseed powder or spirulina or other seaweed for some protein.

gymrob

Ido, in your experience do you believe drinking green tea during workout can increase number of reps you can do? I'm guessing this won't be a great idea if body comp is your goal since the growth hormone response may be reduced?

Many thanks,

Rob.

Ido Portal

First, we were talking about 'green drinks' and not 'green tea'.

Second, no, the growth hormone response to exercise should not be reduced due to green tea consumption.

Third, no, it will not increase your endurance substabtialy.

Ido.

Animalonfire

How necessary is it to take a green drink as a liquid?

I mean could I just eat some green vegetables post work out, or would this make absorption slower or have other bad side effects?

Also, does it matter if the veggies are cooked or raw?

Thanks.